HybridZ

Fastest LS Datsun 1/4 mile

I hear this all the time, but honestly my car was running 10s on motor with the 6 speed on a pretty unimpressive engine.

Also if it was that easy to "just put a glide in it and run 8s" then I wouldn't be one of the only ls Zs running 8s.

Sorry man I can't tell you how tired I get of people telling me "if I just did x I would run 8s no problem." Try actually doing it, it's not that easy.

My car made 440whp all motor and ran in the 10's with a 6 speed as well....at 3100+#, and IRS. 

Potato Tomato

Running 8's isn't easy, you're right. I also want to take this chance to say that I think you have built one bad ride. However, being the fastest at the track isn't my goal - that should be obvious.  If I'd built a car to go straight, it would have a solid axle and an automatic. Until then, I'll be rowing gears, impressing highschool kids, and enjoying the shit out of my car. 

Edited by SUNNY Z
  • Like 1

ZFan-you say: "get the suspension right."  What have you done to get it right?  (I think mine is doing fine, but I'm always looking for pointers).

SunnyZ-when we gonna get you on a track that turns both ways?  You wanna drive to Memphis for ZCON this summer?  I'm planning to drag, autocross and road course.   I think I can get 3 sets of tires in my truck....

I hear this all the time, but honestly my car was running 10s on motor with the 6 speed on a pretty unimpressive engine.

Also if it was that easy to "just put a glide in it and run 8s" then I wouldn't be one of the only ls Zs running 8s.

Sorry man I can't tell you how tired I get of people telling me "if I just did x I would run 8s no problem." Try actually doing it, it's not that easy.

Other enthusiast site members may make excuses for why they don't "run 8s no problem", but only on HybridZ do I see people that put up with your attitude and maintain civility.  That's the difference between this site and the Supra forums for example.  Fine, you are awesome at drag racing, yes it's not easy but why the unnecessary attitude?

I'm glad I don't drag race anymore.

I am running a R200LSD 3.70 gear, added clutches, 300ZXT CV axles and a pair of Modern Motorsport billet stubs. I have 60 ft. a best of 1.37 on them, mainly low 1.40's. In 8 yrs I have broken 2 CV axles, no stubs or differentials in this time frame. With the new 436 with LS3 Frankenstein heads I am hoping for low 9's or high 8's on a 200 shot....fingers crossed. Hope the NOS mini progressive controller does the trick. My real goal is 9.XX on motor.

Mind = Blown.. I figured that thing had a 8.8 in it a long long time ago. I've seen Zfan's car on the street more than a handful of times and it's quick out of the hole. Real quick..

Other enthusiast site members may make excuses for why they don't "run 8s no problem", but only on HybridZ do I see people that put up with your attitude and maintain civility. That's the difference between this site and the Supra forums for example. Fine, you are awesome at drag racing, yes it's not easy but why the unnecessary attitude?

I'm glad I don't drag race anymore.

Do a little research before you talk crap to me and my attitude. I help out a lot of members on this forum without asking for anything in return and I'm happy to give any information needed for builds.

I get slightly annoyed when everyone thinks running 8s is no big deal. Especially when it's in an actual street car running pump gas and driven everywhere. (I don't even own a trailer) I know Sunny meant no offense, his car is great, but if you can't talk a little shit back and forth with car stuff what's the point? Nobody is driven to go better when there's no competition.

You may all think my car is just a drag car, but I've put 30k miles on it, done cross country trips and the only times it's been on the trailer is when I broke a water pump shaft once, and when it has to go somewhere without me there to drive it.

I drive the Purple Turd everywhere, even the new 436 is a pump gas motor. I do not run slicks only drag radials, tiny ones 255/60-15's. I found using a 10" 250 lb coil over spring with KYB cheap ass struts is the trick. All the high dollar ones blow, they don't like rebound, Oreilly's lifetime gaurantee is the chit! I found running 15-16 psi in my drag radials works great. Nothing fancy up front, just Arizona 220 lbs springs and Tokico blue struts fit the bill. Do a burn out and make sure you are getting the correct patch/most tire to the ground as possible. I have seen plenty of Z's that cannot hook because they do not work on suspension details, it's really rather simple.

I have had my fair share of beating up on horsepower/dyno queens who throw numbers around like they have the baddest car on the planet. I ran a 2002 Z06 with a iron block 408 and procharger putting down 850 rwhp. I gave him his race, a 30 roll twice, shut down at 130 with 3 cars on him. He was pissed until I told him my Turd ran 9.70's. Should have seen the look on his face....priceless!

Sunny I noticed you have been getting some 1320video coverage lately......

My car is the fastest thing I have ever driven..... say what you will but it is brutal I have A LOT TO LEARN.  I plan to.  I think I will be in the 9s all day long with this set up.  But I plan on being on a time attack course or 2 as well.  Now that the car is built I plan on learning how to use it the right way........

I am honestly scared of launching in this car.......lol......

In the words of Frozen: "Let it go! Let it go!" And don't overuse the word "all." I'm listening and learning. Do you drive it to the track 200 miles on slicks?

Normally I do. I usually use a Hoosier Quick time pro that I drive around on. I used to use radials but the car does dangerous wheelies on them at the track and they SUCK on the street so I went to a bias ply.

These last few times at the track I got a set of 28X10.5 ET Drags with a billion passes on that that I used, and I had my buddy carry them up for me since they really have almost nothing left on them. (They were free from a friend)

I get a few thousand on the QTPs as long as I don't drive like a total ass.

I drive the Purple Turd everywhere, even the new 436 is a pump gas motor. I do not run slicks only drag radials, tiny ones 255/60-15's. I found using a 10" 250 lb coil over spring with KYB cheap ass struts is the trick. All the high dollar ones blow, they don't like rebound, Oreilly's lifetime gaurantee is the chit! I found running 15-16 psi in my drag radials works great. Nothing fancy up front, just Arizona 220 lbs springs and Tokico blue struts fit the bill. Do a burn out and make sure you are getting the correct patch/most tire to the ground as possible. I have seen plenty of Z's that cannot hook because they do not work on suspension details, it's really rather simple.

I have had my fair share of beating up on horsepower/dyno queens who throw numbers around like they have the baddest car on the planet. I ran a 2002 Z06 with a iron block 408 and procharger putting down 850 rwhp. I gave him his race, a 30 roll twice, shut down at 130 with 3 cars on him. He was pissed until I told him my Turd ran 9.70's. Should have seen the look on his face....priceless!

You're on to the right setup for a datsun with limited tire. I used to cut 1.4s with stock suspension (Blown rear shocks, and an aftermarket swaybar to keep the car from blowing off one tire in a majestic single tire burnout) and a 225 drag radial. Drag radials generally want a bit more pressure than slicks, and I've found 14-16 HOT was pretty good for me. (I run my slicks 12-14psi generally)

Ironically my motor was donated from my 2001 z06 with a 750 hp blower setup on it originally. Come a long ways from there though. That motor put down 950rwhp with the turbo before I retired it and bought something fancier recently. :D

I apologize.  Nothing wrong with a bit of bragging, and I appreciate the chill discussion.  Just rubbed me the wrong way.

No worries. I have that effect on people. I'm not quiet or shy, and I put out there whatever I'm thinking. That tends to piss people off quite often. Its just the name of the game.

Just so you know though, I'm not all bad. I do help people quite a bit where I can.

Loving the car mistafosta! I just bought a 74 roller with a 9" ladder bar setup. It was poorly done and I'm going to redo with a backhalf 4 link kit. The only downside I hear about a 4 link z is the short 4 link bars. How long are the bars and how wide is your axle? What size wheels / tires? Thanks.

Loving the car mistafosta! I just bought a 74 roller with a 9" ladder bar setup. It was poorly done and I'm going to redo with a backhalf 4 link kit. The only downside I hear about a 4 link z is the short 4 link bars. How long are the bars and how wide is your axle? What size wheels / tires? Thanks.

Yeah, my bars are really short. I don't remember exactly and the car is halfway across the country but I want to say 28" long? Just make sure you use a kit with a LOT of adjustment and you should be fine. I don't know how long my axle is, we used a rear that was originally made for my buddies Opal, and ended up fitting perfectly.

I run a 15x10 Wheel, and can run anything up to a 28x10.5W tire. We built the tubs that way on my car. Gonna probably try a 29" tire this year if it fits to stretch out the launch and mph a bit.

Sunny I noticed you have been getting some 1320video coverage lately......

My car is the fastest thing I have ever driven..... say what you will but it is brutal I have A LOT TO LEARN. I plan to. I think I will be in the 9s all day long with this set up. But I plan on being on a time attack course or 2 as well. Now that the car is built I plan on learning how to use it the right way........

I am honestly scared of launching in this car.......lol......

You should be. Getting it wrong means immediate failure! Ask me how I know.

I have a lot of respect for anyone running sub 10's I don't think a lot of people understand what it takes to crack into the mid 10's/9's much less 8's. I was one of those guys just a few months ago. Hell my car was making 700ish with a 2.0 60' and I made a 10.9 pass on IRS/6speed. Granted I didn't really build my car to run the qtr mile it is quickly becoming an interest of mine. I say let the info flow we could all benefit from it.