HybridZ

260z problems starting

just replaced the head gasket on my 260 but i cant get the car to start.  Car was running fine before but now it just cranks.  Made sure #1 cylinder was at tdc(the cylinder closest to the radiator) and I made sure the cam lobes on the same cylinder were pointing to 10 and 2.  I made sure the little notches on the oil pump lined up and i primed it with oil.   The distributor went in the 11:28 position.  All my plugs are going counter clockwise 153642.  I didnt really mess with the carbs.  They were working fine before so i just put them back on.  Fuel Is getting to the carbs.  Idk what i did wrong but i did something wrong and id like to figure it out.  Is there something im missing or is there a common spot where people mess up?  

I pulled a plug and attached a spark plug to it and tried to start it.  I didnt see any spark at the spark plug.  What do u think would be causing this?  Everything was working prior to this adventure.  I took the distributor cap off and it was pretty rusty inside.  I tried to clean some off the rust off but it didnt seem to make a difference.

260Z's came with electronic ignition.  Check the FSM.  Shouldn't be any rust at all in the cap.  Maybe on the distributor parts.  Odds are though that you misplaced a wire.  Doube check the wiring.

Is "yo" really that hard to type in?  Really?

So I disconnected the coil from the distributor and held it to the frame while i tried to start it and there is no spark.  All the connections to the coil have not been tampered with and look correct.  Any idea what would cause this to happen?  Can i run some wire from the battery straight to the coil and see if I can start it or would this be a bad idea?  

So I disconnected the coil from the distributor and held it to the frame while i tried to start it and there is no spark. 

This is not how you test for spark.  Besides the fact that for a stock 260Z electronic ignition the coil is not connected to the distributor.  No easy fixes.  Cars is hard.

http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/280z/

maybe im using the wrong terminology.  The batter goes to the alternator and the alternator goes to the wiring harness which goes to the black cylinder which is the ignitor correct?  that goes to the distributor and from the distribuor to the wires, wires to the spark plugs.  Why cant I check to see if my ignitor is sending output by holding it to a piece of metal and looking for spark?  

maybe im using the wrong terminology.  The batter goes to the alternator and the alternator goes to the wiring harness which goes to the black cylinder which is the ignitor correct?  that goes to the distributor and from the distribuor to the wires, wires to the spark plugs.  Why cant I check to see if my ignitor is sending output by holding it to a piece of metal and looking for spark?  

The batter(y) goes to the alternator and the alternator goes to the wiring harness which goes to the black cylinder which is the ignitor correct?  - No, this is wrong, in many ways.  Too many black cylinders in the engine bay to really know which one you're talking about.  The black cylinder is probably your coil.

The other stuff doesn't make any sense since you keep talking about an "ignitor" and your 260Z shouldn't have one.  You're going to have to find a full-size computer and open up the FSM if you want to make any progress.  The phone screen isn't going to get it done.  There are drawings of the coil, so you'll know what that black cylinder is.

At least put the phone to good use and take a picture.

How can anyone help you when you don't know the names of the components you are testing or proper testing procedures?

By reading the FSM you will have the correct terminology to more clearly explain your problem which is more likely to elicit helpful responses.  You will also become a better mechanic.

The FSM may even have the exact solution to your problem!

is that fsm posted for the 260z?  This car is not stock.  The motor is an l28 with su carbs and i believe it doesnt have points.  I was not seeing any spark from the ignition coil(the black cylinder attached near the driver side front wheel).