HybridZ

T56 Magnum

John.tempest

Hey Guys,

So I am sourcing the big parts for my build before I start the teardown. I have been looking for a beefier T56 for a while now, but living in Canada really has limited my options unless I wanna shell out $3,000 for a used T56. However, I got a line on a brand new Magnum T56 from the states for a decent price.

My questions are these:

1. Has anyone done a conversion with this transmission?

2. Would the shifter position work for my S30 chasis? I bought the John's car kit, but I believe the mounts will not work 100% for this transmission because my understanding is that the Magnum's are a TR6060 with different inards and a different casing?

The build this is going into is a 1973 Z with a 5.3 LS and a turbo. 

Thanks!

It should work with the shifter at the rear position and the engine as close as you can get it to the firewall. The T-56 magnum dimensions are given on SilverSportTransmissions website http://shiftsst.com/store/transmissions/t56-magnum. Then add the length of the bell housing (approx. 5.6") and compare it to the length of the original transmission (29" to shifter) minus the difference in how far back the two engines sit.