HybridZ

Sr20 Z

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I was thinking about it for the whole weight reason and just being able to tell someone you beat them with a 4 banger z!

But they're expensive($3k bare minimum), only available from japan(thus you can't examine it before you buy it), and have limited power if you want to drive it every day and have 100% reliability. Plus the JWT electronics to get any significant power are expensive.

Turbo a l6 and use the money you save to make up the 100-150lb of weight elsewhere, say some super light wheels and a fiberglass hood? smile.gif

------------------

Morgan

http://z31.com/~morgan/s30

http://carfiche.com

they're expensive (and not emissions legal) in the us... but he's in australia (or so it says). i believe they have or had them there in a 180sx/200sx/silvia/whatever.

one site where the sr20det is often discussed is freshalloy.com (in the 240sx forums, mostly).

[This message has been edited by pauli (edited November 16, 2000).]

Guest Anonymous

there are thousands of sr20det powered cars over here so getting the engine or parts is not a problem. You can get gearbox, engine, intercooler, and wiring for under $2000 aus ( about $1000 US).

Since posting this i have decided to go for a N/A L28. I can get one built to handle 300Hp at 8000rpm for under 5 grand. Built strong enough that i can convert to turbo whenever i feel the need.

Patrck.

Guest Anonymous

Um. A non turbo l28 to make 300 horsepower? Hardly.

You'll be doing good to get 200 and have it reasonably drivable around town.

And you can't just slap a turbo on a 100hp/liter non turbo engine without lowering the compression.

I'd go with the sr20dt if you can get it all that cheap. Comparable power to a non turbo l28 and more reliable(no carbs), smoother, revvier, and 150 lbs lighter.

------------------

Morgan

http://z31.com/~morgan/s30

http://carfiche.com

Guest Anonymous

Sorry, Morgan, have to disagree on the 300 h.p. bit. I've seen several L28s running >300 h.p. However, you're doing some serious development to get it; ultimate heads, cam profiles just right, triple 50 mm. webers, and sometimes even the diesel crank. There's a place here called Z Shop that are claiming around 350 h.p. from L28s; they do all the above and even re-work the ports with adaptors so's the inlet flow is straight (don't ask me to explain this, though.....). All you need is several large bags of gold...

Where I do agree with you, though, is the driveability. Not an everyday car. That's one of the reasons I went V8.

i understand teh weight thing but why an sr-20? if you wanna do a swap and get 300 hp reliable do an rb-26 dett. I'm about a week from getting my running. teh engine is bone stock turbos too. the only thing upgraqded is injectors (720cc) engine management (sds)

and intercooler (Trust 2 core) and at .8-1.0k booste the motor will produce a very streetable and relible 400+HP !!! only drawbake is teh engine is expensive if your not in japan. mine was 3000.00 but ive seen it as high as 7000 in teh states.

ive attached a url for a pic of the engine in teh car http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1278065&a=9886019&p=32569673

have fun with whatever you do

stony

Guest Anonymous

The bloke that builds the L28 engines has been racing datsuns for 35 years. His son has won the australian rally championship in his class about 10 different times and his brother has won the group c track racing a fair few times, so the bloke definately knows what he is doing.

I was just considering the sr20 engine. I am not starting my build until this time next year so i want to have my research done properly first. I would love to use a rb26dett but it is impossible for me to do so. We have very strict laws over here and it would cost me thousands of dollars in engineers reports to get it registered and then i would not be able to insure it for under $4000 a year.

PAtrick.

• 1 month later...
Guest mospeed1

i was thinking about a new project a 78 280 how hard would it be to do a transplant,rwd sr20det..would you need new motor mounts all the wiring harness transmission what about a motor/trans form a 90=96 300zxtt thanks for any help

------------------

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

I have been very interested in the sr20det swap into my 240Z. There is an abundance of info on these engines. Pauli mentioned emissions above. Just what is emissions legal here in the states. I mean, just how many high performance modifications, engine swaps, etc. done to our Z's are emissions legal? Do the emissions have to meet requirements for that year of car, eg, "71" 240Z or for the current year? My guess is the sr20det engine puts out far less emissions than the original L series engine.

i believe emissions are tested to the year the engine was made, if the car is still within emissions testing age. the sr20 was never sold in the us, and therefore was never certified, and therefore has no baseline numbers. without those you can't really pass, and you can see where that goes.

Guest Anonymous

Interesting. Here in Kansas, we don't have to have our vehicles certified. I believe we used to but not anymore. Does anyone know if most states are this way? My guess is California is more stringent but the other states aren't. Whenever I purchased a car here they never checked emissions or looked under the hood.

Most states have cut-offs for old cars. In NC, my 55 Ford and my 71 Z are exempted from a tail pipe test.I think 74 is the cut off year here. NC doesn't have a visual inspection either, so, it's really kind of a free-for-all with older cars. Very plus.

I think CA has a similar old car cut-off for emissions testing. But, I'm also pretty sure they have a visual, so your OEM equipment has to be in place. Also, if you put a new engine in from a newer car, it may have to have the controls in place from that engine.

My guess would be that installing an engine that isn't in the state's computers would generate some bureaucratic head aches. Unless you somehow "cheated" and maybe made it look like say, an 85 200SX engine or something?

In CA, cars that are 1973 and older are smog exempt. Oddly enough, if you read up on the legal discussions etc., you will find that the government is assuming that you are still leaving the emissions equipment in place.

"Of course that's the sound of the original 6 banger, officer, I just have special mufflers!..."

Seriously, though, no performance minded person in CA won't take advantage of enhancing or modifying 1973 and earlier cars simply because one can. My 260Z is an early 1974 car and still must pass smog even though it is nearly 27 years old!!!!

David

Guest Anonymous

Yeah, as DavyZ said, 1973 and earlier are exempt in Ca. So its kind of a loophole you can drive through so to speak. No visual inspection required. And of course everyone in Ca. with a 1973 and earlier car with something else swapped into it has all the original smog equip. intact. wink.gif

Lone

Guest mospeed1

quote:

Originally posted by pauli:

the sr20 was never sold in the us, and therefore was never certified, and therefore has no baseline numbers. without those you can't really pass, and you can see where that goes.

the sr20de is sold in the states .in se-r and nx2000 they are fwd though now the sr20deT is not sold in the u.s

• 1 month later...

That's what I like about living just outside the Dallas/Ft.Worth area. I'm in a small town...closest real town is about 7500people. There are at least two shops I know of that would give an inspection sticker (Ours go on the windshield) w/out looking under the hood.

One shop I found by accident....I was waiting outside his garage door to give him my Insurance & the ignition key to test the lights/horn exc; He walks out w/an inspection sticker & the Ticket all filled out. Tells me to sign it & that'll be $15 bucks; slaps the sticker on my windshield...& says-have a nice day! I've been to his shop now everytime I want an inspection sticker for anything.

Dallas/Ft.worth does the tail pipe test but only on cars I believe after 1978; but hey, who cares when I live in a town where "Cooter-from Dukes of Hazards" runs the local auto shop!

Kevin

(Still an Inliner)

Clarification on the California smog exemption:

1973 and earlier vehicles are not exempt from California smog laws. They are only exempt from the bi-annual and ownership transfer inspection. You can still get "inspected" by a California Highway Patrol officer and, if your vehicle triggers a roadside sniffer, then you must still go to an inspection station and go through the full certification process.

------------------

John Coffey

johnc@betamotorsports.com

[This message has been edited by johnc (edited March 05, 2001).]

• 2 months later...