HybridZ

LS1 240 mounts (facts not opinion???)

Unless 240z's changed transmission mounts, the mount shown in the CX Racing Youtube video is for a 280z unless it is universal.  A 240z tunnel is narrower than a 280z, which is why JCI has two different transmission mount styles.  Below are the two different mounts between a 240z and a 280z.

post-1734-0-23287300-1424754075_thumb.jpeg

post-1734-0-51207500-1424754076_thumb.png

Hi,i have a 71 240 with an ls3/t56 Dirty dingo bolt ins cx trans mount and JTR 13/4 headers,steering shaft clears by 1/8 inch. I"m using Speedway motors LS Hi mount alt bracket and LS brackets A/C bracket. Hope that helps.          Brent

Thanks Brent that awesome information. Great mix and match of kits to make it all work. Can you load up some pictures of your install and your exhaust routing.

Unless 240z's changed transmission mounts, the mount shown in the CX Racing Youtube video is for a 280z unless it is universal.  A 240z tunnel is narrower than a 280z, which is why JCI has two different transmission mount styles.  Below are the two different mounts between a 240z and a 280z.

Looks like the kit has provisions for mounting it in the stock location. I will confirm one I get there.

Sent them an email. They said the trans mout will work with both. They even mention it in the video.There looks to be a hole to bolt stright up. Just waiting on tolerable weather to start.

I've been looking into options for moving the alternator up to clear mounts and they are not cheap..... The more I investigate The JCI kit may be the best bang for the buck unless of course you go off reservation and build your own mounts. Can't wait to see how the cx kit plays out for you Ryan

Need to start tearing into the Z soon and get my party started

'73 240Z's have the later style trans mount.

Nigel

Time for an update of the "facts" ....

JCI- Way more positive feedback than not.... Difficult fitment seems to related more to a tired Z-car than kit quality.  Works with JTR headers and low mount alternator location.  Very complete kit with a build manual and most of the goodies to get your LS1 Z on the road.  A proven kit all in all.

Dingo- Does work with JTR headers and no change to steering rod.... Trans mount is a pick of everyone else.  Uses stock Z mount locations for good support but needs a high mount alternator bracket to work from what I can tell.... Dingo, speedway, and others sell the bracket for less that $200... Easy motor mount install but after that your on your own to figure out the rest.  With the Hybrid community, it is very doable. 

CXR- No completed builds that I can find to date.... Hybrid member is waiting for nasty weather to clear to start his build so it will be a great benefit to us all when he is able to dive in.  CX keeps adding to their kit for completeness.... Currently with all mounts and full exhaust with LT headers (looks nice IMO), I suspect it will require the high mount alternator as well.  Rumor has it that CX is working on a driveline as well for their kit.  Based on pics, I believe you could use the Dingo mounts with CXR headers & exhaust with any pick of trans mount (FWIW)

Hawks-  Only works with their LT headers from what I can tell....... They offer a trans mount that welds in versus all the other bolt ins... I love to have some feedback from a completed and running build.

DIY- Cheap and easy but you need to dial in placement.  I'm leery of Z frame unibody strength not tied to a crossbar.  Quite a few have been done with success so I would love to hear some feedback from hard driver / track guys. 

Thanks to all for the input.  Jim (trackzpeed)  

I was going to go the build my own mounts route cause I have a truck motor and wanted to keep the accessories, but that CXR kit is looking promising. Motor, Tranny, Headers, Y pipe combined for less than hawks headers . Fricking overpriced as shit at hawks...

Edited by crapforum

I was going to go the build my own mounts route cause I have a truck motor and wanted to keep the accessories, but that CXR kit is looking promising. Motor, Tranny, Headers, Y pipe combined for less than hawks headers . Fricking overpriced as shit at hawks...

Hawks has been around awhile and is known for high quality parts... You may get what you pay for. I'm holding judgment on the cx stuff until someone actually installs and uses it.

Hawks headers do look a little nicer, but they don't have any flanges on them where CX's stuff has vbands on everything which is very nice. Dirty Dingo really rubbed me wrong with how they sell their stuff, they charge premium then ask me to pay extra just to get the things coated in something other than raw steel. I'm trying to get my hands on a CX kit to do the review, the full stainless exhaust system peaked my interest.

Me too.  I like the idea of a complete kit, seems no one has it all.  The CX is headers, exhaust all the way out, mounts for both engine and trans etc.  Making the low alternator work may not be horrible, worse case just get the accessories from a truck to get both alt and AC high mounted. Or go aftermarket for them.  No PS or air pump it can not be too bad.  Should pick up the donor car this weekend. 02 Camaro.  Subscribing.  R

Me too.  I like the idea of a complete kit, seems no one has it all.  The CX is headers, exhaust all the way out, mounts for both engine and trans etc.  Making the low alternator work may not be horrible, worse case just get the accessories from a truck to get both alt and AC high mounted. Or go aftermarket for them.  No PS or air pump it can not be too bad.  Should pick up the donor car this weekend. 02 Camaro.  Subscribing.  R

Having seen your builds in the past I'm looking forward to your creation Richard.... Not sure this community knows the depth of your build skills but they will catch on quick!

If CX Racing had a auto kit I would buy it right now...

An automatic in a Z (unless its a quarter miler) just seems like sacrilege to me, but I'm an old school rower that still believes in the gifts of heel and toe. Lol I personally can't wait to hear the sound of rev matching in my LS1 240