HybridZ

Back at it....

post-9962-0-98071600-1427081388_thumb.jpg

If I can get the Red Z side profile like this, I'll be happy.

I'm going to have a custom set of wheels built in 17"? maybe 18"? but I don't think Z cars look good with 18" wheels and in 16" there aren't that many tire options for 11"F and 13"R.

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I hope you all had a great weekend.

I'm the only car person in my family and I was not-so-aware of this till yesterday.

I've owned the Z cars longer than I've been married. They are older than my kids and my sons have NEVER seen them. I asked my youngest what he thought about old cars and he thought they were cool. This morning he asked when they would be running and I'm very surprised because next to the red z is my latest build which is one of the reasons that I had to get a minimum of one car together- I'M OUT OF ROOM.

the 240z fuel evap system is interesting.

I understand that it's to let air escape out of the fuel tank so it can be filled to the top and during a warm day when fuel expands there's room for the growth.

trying to understand why the port is below the fuel line.

Wouldn't that mean fuel would be in the line sloshing around in the hoses that lead to the evap canister?

Going to simplify the system a little and hope it works......post-9962-0-86680800-1427137721_thumb.jpg

Edited by Hoover

moving forward and evap system, time for some more modern parts...

going to simplify the system and continue to use most of the original design.

installing this vent valve which will open when there is more pressure on one side to handle gas expansion. In addition, since it's closed when there isn't pressure, my garage hopefully won't smell of gas fumes from fumes dumping into atmosphere.....post-9962-0-37749200-1427141963_thumb.jpg

post-9962-0-34639300-1427143393_thumb.jpg

I have a plan on the Big Red Z, but I'm certain that the intake will explode when I try.

Made this plenum MANY years ago for a customer and may need to revisit this shortly......

I've got more pics. of this if anyone wants to see....post-9962-0-92810300-1427143683_thumb.jpg

Edited by Hoover

should have the fuel system mods. completed shortly, then fuel tank will be reinstalled. I'm confident that this will work. It's basically the same system that's used on my race car and I've never had any difficulties with overflow/evap. The 240z evap/overflow and hoses are probably one of the reasons the interior smells of fuel sometimes. One leak and the cabin will fill with vapor easily. IMO, everyone needs to get rid of the factory system!!!

Running fuel across the interior of the rear clam is just a bad idea, IMO. With any left or right turn, there's no way to prevent fuel from running up the evap. hoses on either side of the tank. Those hoses are now eliminated.

post-9962-0-52727700-1427149849_thumb.jpg

basically all the old parts are now replaced and simple while effectively working like the factory.

The fact that there aren't 40+ year old fuel fluid/vapor hose across the rear tail light section makes me feel a LOT better; the same reason I'm replacing brakes. post-9962-0-53311100-1427149982_thumb.jpg

Edited by Hoover

well......today marks the 3rd week on this project and subsequently opening up an entire can of Z-worms in the warehouse. Originally, I only wanted to spend no more than a week, but after looking at all the original old parts that need replacement and unexpected happenings, it's still going rather smoothly.

No doubt I over spent on everything, but I learned a lot about Z's and met a bunch of cool people, so it's all worth it- Things happen for a reason! However, I have my priorities during the day and a HUGE project that we need the next 3 months to completely focus, so I'm a little in panic, since this car isn't part of my profession.

Time....if only I had more.....

Edited by Hoover

That plenum! Ah!!

More!!!

Thanks, Andy!!!post-9962-0-58603000-1427159344_thumb.jpg

Here's another kind of plenum we've made-

post-9962-0-32263300-1427159460_thumb.jpg

I have a feeling that I will need to fabricate one for my turbo Z or use the early 280z plenum with less emissions, which I think I have one. The current turbo Z is sheet metal wrapped in carbon fiber. Made it over 20+ years ago. Around it is a thermal jacket that is custom fitted. UGGGGGLYYYYY......

Time...no time at all......

I probably have a few more pics. if anyone wants to see...post-9962-0-90454900-1427159867_thumb.jpg

Edited by Hoover