HybridZ

Back at it....

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i have to figure out how to go from oval to round without too much fabrication. I don't have a sheet metal roller.

if this was for a turbo car, i'd go a different route and use .25 extruded tube. maybe that's next. I just need to figure out how to make it seal and be removable like the hks surge tank.

thanks! I may build another one that's made for boost.

Will install this one tomorrow and finish the intake with a velocity stack (if it fits) and cone filter.

I didn't want to modify the front radiator struture opening and will just leave a filter shoved into the front corner of the engine bay.

post-9962-0-65226900-1429153514_thumb.jpg

thanks!

I was just trying to find a solution to limit heat induction at the velocity stacks. The other problem area are the intake manifold runners being so close to the header primaries. The heatshields don't work when the hood is closed, that's why the OEM design is encapsulated.

I may ceramic coat the airbox, intake runner and header, then insulate the header with inconel wrap which is amazing stuff.

I'm going to datalogg the difference in intake temperatures during a simple drive on the street, freeway etc.....this will give us real world data.

Edited by Hoover

my son asked if we could go for a short evening drive, so we went to fill some fuel and came back. Got lots of people giving us the thumbs up etc.... felt good!

I remember the Z better now and reliving it with my son. The difference is that I can afford to build them a little nicer now. The spring rates are liveable and bump steer spacers really make the difference. It's definitely running rich under 3k though, so we need to just lean it out a bit. The exhaust smell is a bit overwhelming since I had my window rolled down.

BUT....The HORN works and sounds really wimpy just like I recall!!!

A set of fiberglass or carbon door panels, those would be sweet!

Hey Brendan,

I'll have set of carbon door panels in a few weeks.

One of the people at MSA asked me about them yesterday.

thanks for watching.

Hoover

so far no fume smells in the garage overnight. Very happy with the results so far.

The exhaust sounds cool, but I'm definitely considering the turbo option later.

My son asks to ride in the car all the time, so that's a good thing. Need to trim out a little fuel at idle and it should cruise even better.

went to MacDonalds with my son this morning.

guy in a modded up Ferrari was behind me at a stop light. A lady in a Range Rover pulled up next to me and gave the thumbs up. Made a left turn to another stop light (don't know why I hit every stop light within a 1/2 mile of my residence this morning) and Ferrari guy pulls up next to me. Doesn't look over, wave or anything.... I drive Exotics and own them as well. I recall seeing a Z car with some younger (25ish) guy and girl friend cruising a while back and I immediately waved them down and chatted while waiting for the light to turn green. What happened to real car people?

The largest Cars and Coffee is on Treasure Island and it's mostly Exotics- my other cars would be better suited there, but the other Cars and Coffee is literally 2 minutes from my garage door and has a lot of different types of cars. I'll probably limit myself to the local meet.

Time to wash my truck that needs a paint job.....

What happened to real car people?

Man oh man... I ran into a real car guy the other day who wanted to chat me up about all things Datsun. In the end, that was a hell of a convo because he allegedly has a subaru LSD that he wants to sell me. Possibly some other parts too. =)

measure twice cut one.....

!#@$!@#$@!#%#$%$%#@$^@#^$

This is something i constantly tell myself i will do... NEXT time. =)

• 2 weeks later...

Glad to see you back at it again!

I remember reading about all the work on your Red car back when I had bought my RB in '01-'02 and was getting ready to be one of the first with that swap...... I've towed it all over the country its the Navy making progress at each stop.

Seeing you move quickly on yours is good motivation. Don't go to the trouble to the red going, then swap it for a RB after the fact, start with a completed swap like mine! :). Well, not running yet...life and kids did it for me as well.

But, some motivation for you:

http://forums.hybridz.org/topic/50059-documentary-of-the-super-datsun-resurrection/

Having issues on an ipad linking some of the pics properly- so here is a picture link to scroll through them:

http://s464.photobucket.com/user/rehanvey/library/datsun?sort=3&page=1

Someone else can post the proper img code to pop up good shot of the engine or car.

Keep up the updates- motivation for the rest of us!

Bobby