HybridZ

Back at it....

Hey Bobby,

How are you?!

Thanks for the links. It's been a while but that's some dedication!

I've been off the forum for a few days, but kept up with the FB groups.

When I get home early enough, my son and go for a short drive and by ice cream, video game store etc......He told me that you see Lambo, Ferrari, Porsche etc..... every single day, but it's the first Z car he's ever seen and obviously ridden in. He's become quite facinated and I hope the memories will last him a lifetime; that's what this was all about.

You're right, Bobby, I worked as quickly as possible so that things would not linger and I would go through yet another era of my life and still not have a running Z car.

So, I've been purchasing little things to refresh the Z: hatch rubber trim, windshield wiper bolt grommets, dash cap (black), new urethane air dam etc.. the past week.post-9962-0-38091700-1430338631_thumb.jpg

But, I've always been a turbo guy. I enjoy the more vintage ITB sound and performance, but I'm not the total purist. This is an extra F54/P90 turbo engine that's probably good for 400whp, which is more than what I need for what I do. I've been piecing all the parts and nearly have everything to do an engine swap for the Orange Z car.

post-9962-0-57050900-1430338854_thumb.jpg

post-9962-0-43254000-1430338872_thumb.jpg

I purchased new intake/exhaust studs today and have a turbo ready, but would prefer something smaller for around-town power.

Till I have 80% of all the parts to put it all together, the current will remain running; I don't want the down time of waiting for parts. I can fabricate all the IC mounts and intercooler in a day or two.

I will leave the Red Z 3.3 ltr. L6 turbo the same, except it will go through a full restoration. Like you said, start with a new fresh build would make much more sense. However, It's not something I can take on at the moment since my two other cars are getting serious body modifications so we can race next year.

Edited by Hoover

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Driverrear.jpg

I remember your Z well, Bob. Done so nicely and attention to detail. I only wished I could keep up at that level back in the day.

Beautiful!!!

Thanks- that car WILL run under its own power someday! A high compliment from you, thank you. If I wasn't so concerned with getting it all right, I would have finished and driven and likely sold it years ago...

There is a lot to be said about simple and running.

Once this is done starts the project I've been dreaming and thinking of for 15+ years- my first car, a 73 z, swapped with a full FD RX7 suspension, 3.1L w/300+ hp, and other mods for track and daily driving. I have all the parts, just need to have the time and space for the fab work involved.

That is why I like your orange one so much- ITB L6, old school style. The red one is great b/c it pushed the known limits at the time in many ways. Both have their strengths.

I could count on one hand the number of people I had knowledge of who had 400+ rwhp with the L6 turbo back in the late 90's and early 2000's. Much easier and more know how to today- the Internet and fast evolution of turbo and Engine management has put that knowledge and capabilities in the hands of many.

I remember getting most of my info on the 3.1 swap from talking with Rebello himself on a visit to his shop, a well know Z shop in Northern Cali, and some calls to those who built one previously- and some info from Steve Golick's write up on IZCC. All back in early '96-97.

Pioneering is what your Red Z was doing along with others- much like your all new car project. Best of luck and I'll be following!

Edited by Bob_H

Thanks- that car WILL run under its own power someday! A high compliment from you, thank you. If I wasn't so concerned with getting it all right, I would have finished and driven and likely sold it years ago...

There is a lot to be said about simple and running.

Once this is done starts the project I've been dreaming and thinking of for 15+ years- my first car, a 73 z, swapped with a full FD RX7 suspension, 3.1L w/300+ hp, and other mods for track and daily driving. I have all the parts, just need to have the time and space for the fab work involved.

That is why I like your orange one so much- ITB L6, old school style. The red one is great b/c it pushed the known limits at the time in many ways. Both have their strengths.

I could count on one hand the number of people I had knowledge of who had 400+ rwhp with the L6 turbo back in the late 90's and early 2000's. Much easier and more know how to today- the Internet and fast evolution of turbo and Engine management has put that knowledge and capabilities in the hands of many.

I remember getting most of my info on the 3.1 swap from talking with Rebello himself on a visit to his shop, a well know Z shop in Northern Cali, and some calls to those who built one previously- and some info from Steve Golick's write up on IZCC. All back in early '96-97.

Pioneering is what your Red Z was doing along with others- much like your all new car project. Best of luck and I'll be following!

Thanks so much, Bob! I remember seeing your paint job and wondering if I could ever build a Z like yours, then your wheels came along and set the bar a bit higher.

My son and I get to go to Cars and Coffee, then a Datsun Swap meet for the first time this Sunday, so I'm very excited.

The Red Z is the sole reason I'm in the business today. I took the same basic principles and applied them to all of the current cars we work on here and one day I thought that I should just be a specialty car manufacturer and designed my own cars from ground up. Last year I decided to put my shop to the test and took a podium in the SCCA GT-1 Runoffs with the only turbo v6 engine in the entire field of V8s. The media attention we received was huge, but the principals were the same as on the Red Z car- Control EGTs, piston speed and fluid temperatures.

There's so many people making more power today than we were back-in-the-day. It's much easier with the information that's out there. I kept my Orange Z old school and worked as quickly as I could so that my son would still be 11 years old and able to drive around with me- mission accomplished!!!

Red Z- I was just about to remove the flares when a local Z car shop owner told me all the reasons that I should not: 1. The Big Flares are unique 2. The Red Z represents a lot of R&D for those that understand where some of turbo knowledge came from (custom header, ecu, intake manifold (carbon), ecu tuning (late 90's- before most) and 3.3 ltr. 3. There's a story with it and it needs to restored to it's days of glory 4. It represents where I am today in the automotive field and should be shown.

He's right and I just couldn't see it.

In all honesty, I'm afraid of losing any more time. Heck, I've known you guys for HOW LONG???! We've all had how many life times pass us by and none of us are getting any younger. That day when I pulled the Orange Z out of the warehouse, I told myself that I will not move forward with any other cars till my son rides in the Orange Z car and it's in my home garage. Today, I head out to the body shop to work on my latest project. I feel a weight lifted off of my shoulders that I did something right.

BUT, I think I could make more than 650hp out of the L6 today. I just need a little time with newer parts and what I know today and back on the dyno......in all honesty, I could just reassemble the Z for dyno work and see if my theories are correct.

Bob, remember, if you need me to help you out with parts, some fabrication etc.... I'm always here and much more skilled today. Just let me know.

Thanks again for remembering me. I'm honored!

Thanks. I wanted to dumb down the interior before I purchase a wooden steering wheel, wood shift knob and factory style shift boot. Aftermarket Z parts are generally inexpensive, IMO.

I just bought a dash cap cover and popped it on. I don't even use the adhesive.

Edited by Hoover

I LOVE the color of the red Z.  It actually looks orange in the photo the way the sun is rejecting.  What I like best though is the bodywork/flares.  VERY nicely done.  Is that someones kit or did you do that yourself?

post-263-0-88379300-1430445299_thumb.jpg

post-9962-0-49578600-1430687802_thumb.jpg

Finally took it to cars and coffee.

Found this on Instagram.

Mission accomplished!

Also, met a couple if hybridZ members today and had a quick lunch with Swami!

Met josel (sp) at a swap meet.

looking forward to meeting up at the next cars and coffee, swami!

I hope you are all having a great weekend.

Yesterday, me and a few of the local 510 and Z owners got a chance to meet Peter Brock at a local event. He signed our glove boxes, ash tray, posters, steering wheel etc....

EPIC!!!

My occupation is much like his and I had an opportunity to speak to him personally. It definitely peaked his interest and he asked if he could see some of my projects.

Edited by Hoover

• 2 weeks later...

Tardi to the party, but it was good meeting both of you guys! Hopefully I get to see you both at the upcoming cars and coffee in June. I'm trying to get my buddies from the swap meet to come with. :)

I'm sooooo jealous you get to meet Peter Brock! I want to have all the things signed!

This page is amazing! Great job on the build, i just went and read all 18 pages from start to finish hahaha. I love the father son bonding you ended up getting while nearing completion with this project.

Thanks so much! I didn't mean to write so much, but most it was real-time.

Just driving in the morning to a show or even breakfast really makes this all worth it. I can finally say that my Z runs everyday. Even though I work on my own cars, the parts cost what they cost. Talking to my youngest son and the memories he will have will be forever and a price I'm willing to pay.

It saddens me to think that one day I will be gone and my kids will be grown up and say, I remember my dad sitting in that seat and driving me around......(wheepy now)....

Tardi to the party, but it was good meeting both of you guys! Hopefully I get to see you both at the upcoming cars and coffee in June. I'm trying to get my buddies from the swap meet to come with. :)

I'm sooooo jealous you get to meet Peter Brock! I want to have all the things signed!

As long as I'm not on vacation, I'll probably be at the June Cars & Coffee BlackHawk.

My son and his friends had a great time at the show. The Zed got a bunch of attention, since there aren't too many of them. The Orange color helps as well.

Peter Brock signed my Ash Tray cover....

As long as I'm not on vacation, I'll probably be at the June Cars & Coffee BlackHawk.

My son and his friends had a great time at the show. The Zed got a bunch of attention, since there aren't too many of them. The Orange color helps as well.

Peter Brock signed my Ash Tray cover....

At least a done up Zed get's attention. Nobody really notices mine since it's pretty rough :rolleyes:

Maaaaan, I would love for him to sign my glove box door.

Memorial Day.

Thank you to all that have sacrificed for our freedom.

I drove the Z for the first time on the freeway today.

It tracks straight with a slight constant vibration in the steering wheel.

Going to swap hubs when I get a chance.

Overall It drove well and we had fun! I even drove it in mild anger getting on to the on ramp.

Donuts was our mission!! Success!!!

As a perk, my son told me that this lady keeps staring at the Z. I looked over and it was a young lady and her boyfriend in a modded 996TT. He gave me the thumbs up, but I was so busy making sure everything was running ok, I didn't respond, which was a douche move on my part.

post-9962-0-79494000-1432571779_thumb.jpg

post-9962-0-75421800-1432571824_thumb.jpg

post-9962-0-04398100-1432571917_thumb.jpg

Edited by Hoover