HybridZ

Does anyone know specifics about the Q45 V8?

Guest JAMIE T

Guest Anonymous

Probably be close, but I would expect the LT1 to win by a bit, even with the weight difference IMHO. Larger, torquery and yes heavier I think the LT1 would open a large can on a stock Q motor. Just bench racing though, I could be way off base though, who knows... icon_confused.gif The LT1 wins points for easier hop up parts availability. The Q probably more refined and smoother.

Regards,

Lone

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Anonymous

Hands down, the LT-1's aftermarket makes the Q motor's look silly. The Q doesn't have an aftermarket, period. But I think the outcome really depends on a few things. If it were a Camaro or Firebird LT-1, I think IF the LT-1 Z had a perfect launch with minimal wheelspin the Q would still reel it in. If it were a Corvette LT-1 in question, there's no doubt the vette would win, but I don't think it will be a significant margin. I've driven a friend's Z28 and it had gobs of low-end muscle, but man that VH45DE has tons of midrange and highend power, it feels like a turbo is kicking in. Mine pulls real hard into triple digits. In a 2ton-plus car like the Q, torque is plenty good, not gargantuan, by-the-bucket-loads but it's more than adequate so I can only imagine would it would do for a featherweight like the Z. A gentleman by the name of Dennis (aka Q45tech) uses the JWT chip and stated his car was putting out more than 330 lb/ft. I'm still stuck at a crossroads. On the one hand, I love that headsnapping torque of the LT-1 and the swap has been tried and true but then again the VH45 can hold it's own when it comes to torque and has triple digit zip (not that I'll be going that fast icon_wink.gif ) and throw in the crispy, silkysmooth feel and its' really tough to decide. hmmmm, i'll keep nitpicking to see what comes up.

P.S. Whatever swap I do, you can count on forced induction icon_biggrin.gif

Well then, dare I suggest a comparo between the Q45 and the LS1? LoneStar1 had his dyno'd at 296hp at the wheels. And the motor is light, all aluminum - at least 60lbs lighter than the LT1. The intake is plastic! (Or, uh, I guess I'm meant to say "High-tech composite material" icon_smile.gif)

But that 296 is stock. There's an intense aftermarket for these engines. Everything from 15hp chip upgrades (although there's supposed to be complete ECU editing S/W available in a few weeks!) to blowers and turbos (on totally stock internals).

There's even a reverse flow, streetable electric water pump now available that claims a 16hp increase.

I doubt you'll find much in the way of "tuning" for the Q45 mill...

Of course, I am slightly biased. icon_razz.gif

Owen, get the properties and past the URL into your browser directly. A PITA but it's working for me and once it's in my cache they show up finr icon_rolleyes.gif

Stupid quesiton - front wheel drive? I looks like a real short motor and with those runners I ASSume it's front wheel drive - yes? Intake looks nice, hard to tell how big the motor really is though. I gues if we see one under th ehood of a Z we'll know huh? icon_smile.gif

Guest Anonymous

LS-1 sounds great as does the LT-1. I guess I'm a bit of a Nissan/Datsun purist so as of yesterday, I've decided to do the VH45DE swap afterall. I'm not going to do much in the way of hopping up the engine although I a turbo system would be great. By staying with the Nissan drivetrain I'm insuring myself of a bulletproof, reliable setup that wouldn't give me an surprises down the line. The ZXTT 5spd is superstrong and leaves plenty of headroom in case I do decide to put on a turbo or blower (there's a paxton novi and powerdyne kit for this motor) I figure anything over 300hp is plenty enough juice for our lil datto anyway.

Nothing at all wrong with using the Nissan motor. It might not beat an LS1 or LT1 equipped Z but really, who cares? It'll certainly give a Camaro driver one heck of a surprise and probably a 'Vette too! It's not all about being the fastest as there will always be someone faster. I think this swap will be really neat and I hope it goes well and that you can document it for others who might like to try it.

I don't think liking nissan motors necessariliy makes you a purist. They really do make outstanding motors, and I think you've chosen well. In my eyes a purist is someone that will only put something in his car because it says 'nissan'. Good luck with the swap though! Hopefully you pave the way for more people following the same path!

Guest Anonymous

yes, to each man his own. I'm not going for brute speed but looking for a refined, crisp ride. IMO the 300ZX 5spd felt more defined and required less manhandling than a T56. Took a closer look at the VH45DE and I noticed the engine mounts aren't connected to the chassis itself but via a subframe that sits beneath the engine itself. I took the liberty of taking pictures of the mount itself but to do so, I had to have the A/C compressor off otherwise it would be impossible for a clean shot. I'm certain they are urethane bushings but I have heard that Nissan and Toyota used liquid-filled motor mounts for their cars in the early 90's so who knows? I'll post the pics later. take care.

• 2 weeks later...

The japanese auto makers had (have) an agreement with the government in Japan that they will not make an car with 300 hp. I once read a Motor Trend article that said the performance of the 4200lb Q shows that them engine makes close to 300hp.

If you are contemplating a swap, remember that the 96-01 cars have an WEAK 4.1 liter enging that only produces 266hp. icon_mad.gif According to my dad (Nissan/Infiniti Master Mechanic), the engine and AT that you want is from a 94-95. He says the AT is much more reliable in those cars.

Thats my $0.02

AN

[ October 16, 2001: Message edited by: Aaron ]

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

The reason why the AT in the 94-96's are more reliable is simply due to the fact that they start in first gear. The 93 model year starts in first gear also. But I'm sure most of the people considering this swap wouldn't want to put in the AT anyway.

Owen, any new news about the swap? How far along is the guy?

By checking a few common parts and talking with my dad, I am 95% sure that the '90-'95 Q45 AT and the '90-'96 300ZX AT is the same transmission. Therefore, the bellhousing bolt pattern is the same, and the 300ZX 5sp would bolt up. I have not been able to confirm if the flywheel will swap. It might have to be custom made.

If someone has access to some nissan/infiniti parts catalogs they could confirm a few part numbers.