HybridZ

Does anyone know specifics about the Q45 V8?

Guest JAMIE T

Guest Anonymous

that2ksguy:

the 5speed tranny's in the NA and TT are different. Different gears and supposedly the TT version can take a lot more abuse, i have no clue why. guys...I have some disheartening news about the diff from my yard. They cost 500 a pop. I'll go check this other yard i know i could get it for much less, but how much? we'll see..

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you for chekcing into this, I appreciate it! $500 is a bit steep right now for a project I might not need and is a long term project. If nothing you're giving us a good idea as to what they go for in general.

Going to have to search here and see what ratios there are avalable. At least there are no clutches in them to replace. I can confirm that my LSD catches posi though icon_smile.gif

Guest Tht1KSguy

hey Owen, did you ever find that Autoworks magazine that had the turbo Q45 engined Z? What about anyone else? any more progress or ideas? I'm still up in the air deciding to go w/ my current combo or the Q45 setup... i hate to go sbc just b/c i like to be different... and this swap is definately not that icon_biggrin.gif

Guest Anonymous

I finally stopped by the other yard. They wanted to $410 for the diff but I would have to take it off myself icon_sad.gif Here's an odd thought though. I realized that the positioning and size of the Active Suspension Q45 and my Z are "somewhat" similar. Here's a neat story: a buddy of mine succesfully grafted the older maxima's sonar/electric suspension system into a 200sx. Barring any extreme differences in suspension geometry between the Q and Z, I wouldn't see why with a lot of determination and possibly money, this couldn't work. The Q's active suspension system is operated by "real-time" calculations. The g and yaw sensors feed the control unit information every 10 milliseconds or so and then the system adjusts it's position accordingly to maintain a flat smooth ride. it's kinda cool because when I drive my Q, I sometimes take turns at really highspeeds to see if I can upset the suspension, but it never works. Body roll is there, but is minimal compared to a regular car. I'll take a look at the struts, valves and pumps a lil more closely to see if this is doable...

Guest Anonymous

Wait, didn't the TT 300ZX have the same differential as the Q45? Aren't they both R230's? If the 300Z TT version does have the R230 diff then I'm sure the infiniti J30 also has the R230. Cool thing is, even though it shares the same engine as the 300ZX it's a grand cheaper. I wonder if that also applies to diffs? I'll add this to my "Things-to-look-up" list.

Guest Anonymous

that1ksguy:

Good news. i was scanning through the net for old Q engines and found one near your area, i guess. It's in Arkansas. Not sure how far it is but here's the number to the place: (800) 662-6150. The name of the place is AA Auto. They're offering it for only $800. Hope this helps.

got motor for free, needs chain guides of coarse. Pick it up in return for some computer work. icon_biggrin.gif I've located a 94 300tt

that had been wreck, with a complete drive train w/R230. icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif I believe the R230 are the same except for the rear cover.

Guest Tht1KSguy

sopdadope: thanx for the info.. i'll be calling them in the morning when i get to work... hmmm i'm thinking road trip to AR this weekend.. hope they're open on Saturdays. Depending on what part of the state they're in it'll be a 3-5hr drive probably.. not bad. For those of you who don't know my city (Olathe) is part of the KC metro area... just another wonderful suburb (they love it when i run air tools in the garage)

I guess it's only fitting the engine come from AR since the Z did too... gotta love a state that doesn't use salt on the roads. Anyway i think i have a TT 5spd found the only reason i can think of it wouldn't bolt up is if the engine crank doesn't have a hold drilled in it for the tranny's main shaft? Badzx you're probably the only one of us who knows at this point, any insights?

Thanks Guys

Guest Tht1KSguy

hey sopdadope you didn't happen to hold onto that link to that motor did u? I called the guy this morning and he's telling me $1265 + freight over the phone which isn't much better than i can get one here in KC for plus i can hear it run icon_smile.gif who knows... i'll see what i can dig up

Ryan

I cannot wait to hear how thisthese swaps turn out! Please document the heck out of them and keep us posted. This just sounds like one really neat swap and if it runs well could be a good alternative to the normal American V8s. What's this motor look like bare? Will headers be an issue or can stock manifolds be used? Hope the shifter ends up in the right place icon_smile.gif

Guest Anonymous

sorry about the pics not showing up in the post. Apparently it seems photopoint is now charging a fee linking the pics... icon_mad.gif Blackmgk, i don't blame you. First time I saw the motor I thought it was FWD too. The arrangement of the runners looks as though the motor is mounted horizontally. Yes it is a very short motor, but wide. According to my calculations, the engine will have a VERY narrow clearance in the Z engine bay, actually about two inches, give or take. cool thing though is that from the looks of the intake plenum that it could be fitted pretty far back against the firewall without needing to tamper with the brake lines and modifying the hood latch. The VH45DE block is sitting in a bag in my garage right now and it with a little engine degreaser, looks brand spankin new. Pretty light too, I picked up and moved it around without with my bare hands...

Weird, I check it through this ISP and it comes up fine - did you change anything?

Wow, 2 inches is cutting things pretty close. Is that 2 per side or total? Leaves very little room for error but if you've got a block there then a test fit shouldn't be too hard to try icon_smile.gif If you get to that point please try to take some pics. How is the motor mounted? Is it conventional sorts of mounts or something funkier? Does it look like it'll be easy to mount? Do we have any word on the transmission out of a TT yet? Would really suck if someone got one only to find out it was a no-go icon_sad.gif It may not be the fastest when you're done but it's going to be unique and darned nice! Thanks for keeping us up to daye.

Guest Anonymous

That's odd, I didn't touch a thing...The internet works in mysterious ways...yes that's 2 inches per side. I wish I could've had it down to the exact millimeter, but all I had was a tape measure. A buddy of mine, had his Q dynod and the specs read: 248 lb/ft. @ 4300 rpm and 247 hp at 6,300 rpm, roughly. I figure with that huge driveshaft the drivetrain losses figures to be around 14-17%. This is with the stillen exhaust alone. About how much power do you really think it's producing? Another interesting question: I know of a guy around my area who has an LT-1 and T56 swap in his 73 Z, haven't seen him, but heard of him. Who do you think would win in a stoplight 1/4 mile? The bone stock LT-1 Z or a plain jane VH45DE Z?