HybridZ

crankshaft pulley washer

Dkyle

i have a turbo engine from an '82 ZX that didn't come with a harmonic balancer. i am going to use my old one from the original '77 engine. i have the bolt, but don't have the washer. i see that MSA has the '77 washer for $5 and the '82 washer for $11.

what's the difference? Do i get the washer to match the balancer, or the bolt? The answer can save me $5 to $6.

You can get the KA24 washer and bolt from your local Nissan Dealer as well.

The issue with the washers is they are too thin and "bell" when torqued. This results in a loose pulley, and one that wrecks if your lucky....takes the crank snout out if you're not...

i read the "Cracked Crank Pulley.." post of 2010; now I'm worried.

I suspect the $11 washer is one that is "stepped", & one that I should not use.

I have 25mm of crankshaft snout, measured from the end to the pump/dist. gear. The pulley measures 26 mm thick. The crank bolt seems to start bottoming out with 4.5 mm gap from the end of the crank to to the bolthead.

So, it would seem that i need a washer that is at least 4 mm thick to get 110 lbs pressure applied all the way through to the chain gear.

I'll include the $5 washer with my order, & compare that with the KA24 that i can find.