Jump to content
HybridZ
stupid_fast

simplicity and reliability, ZX turbo track toy

Recommended Posts

Cooling problems on my 280ZX were fixed by removing the stock bonnet vent inserts and replacing them with coarse mesh with a mini air dam in front to kick the air over the vent and create a low pressure area over the vent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, 260DET said:

Cooling problems on my 280ZX were fixed by removing the stock bonnet vent inserts and replacing them with coarse mesh with a mini air dam in front to kick the air over the vent and create a low pressure area over the vent.

...and the drivers side vent air dam can be seen in the video you linked in your signature.  Thanks for sharing!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@260det,  thanks for that.  I've got a few ideas going right now, going to do some prototyping and hopefully make some improvements.

A few updates from recent activity.

Earlier last year when I rebuilt the gearbox I replaced the factory transmission mount isolator with the 240sx unit.

The only modification required was drilling two holes in the crossmember. 
This Megan racing mount came on one of the 240sx boxes I got, and is a bit more robust than a ZX unit.

20200212_160243.jpg.3a1d8f17576fe90567a5ae16f74cd0c8.jpg 


The engine mounts tore again, so I ordered some OEM Nissan mounts from japan. 
The OEM mounts immediately delaminated on installation, so I ordered up some silver project mounts and they work just fine on the stock ZX.
They are a bit stiff at idle with the cam, but while driving I can't tell the difference. 

20200217_150928.jpg.2d529139b73f564884db6deca2612ccb.jpg

20200217_160907.jpg.3ee66ac8ee9fc3bcd6dba4ffb67a7be3.jpg

20200217_160916.jpg.766774e3216176f2eb0eb42e2f9b7c2e.jpg

 

Took the opportunity while everything was apart to finally fit on my #5 bypass, should help flow at the back of the head at least a little bit.

AN to BSP fitting was easy enough to source.  The throttle body heater cap was also leaking, so it was a good time to re-seal that. 


20200218_190445.jpg.387aa14d94f8e5412531e180874ce44f.jpg

 

The front sway bar was also binding due to some janky drifting stuff I did to get more clearance for the brake calipers at full lock. 
Steering is much more complaint now, as it should be. 


Went to Thunderhill East this weekend and got on track for my first lap, engine was misfiring and I get black flagged for oil smoke in only a few laps.

The driveshaft munched up the transmission output shaft seal, and it sprayed fluid all over the exhaust causing the smoke. 
I suspect it was due to the old failed engine mounts, but I'll find out for sure if it fails again. 
The parts shop in town had the required seal, I also got a coil and spark plugs to combat the misfire.
 

I missed a few sessions, but I got it back on track with no leaks and running better than it has in a while.  Set a 2:16.030, at least at a similar pace as the rest of the run group. 

The water temps get too hot after just 4 laps flat out, as mentioned previously in the thread I'll have to start doing something about this. 


A while ago I had adjusted the water temp enrichment table in the ECU to go very rich when the CHTS detects 240 degrees, and it worked great.  At just about 230 on the gauge and it goes rich so I'm not tempted to keep pushing it.  

 

 

 

Edited by stupid_fast

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...