HybridZ

Build a 240z or 280z?

Hello,

My first car was a 71 240z w/ an l28et swap and I regret selling it so I plan on getting another s30 soon and doing a LSx/t56 swap. I have the opportunity to buy my first car back which is very unique but I was thinking of getting a 280z instead. They are cheaper to buy and are said to be more rigid. One of my concerns about the car is safety since I will be driving this car a few times a week. I know the s30 is not the safest car, especially compared to modern standards, but is the 280z much better than the 240z in terms of safety? If not, I would rather buy my 240z back and put a 6pt roll bar in it because it will be lighter, stiffer, and more desirable. Which would you pick and why? 

Get the 240z. Unless you track it, you may not appreciate the suspension difference to the fullest. The biggest concern is if you live in California like i do, you really want to find something prior to 1975, so 240z it is.

The S30 is a 40 year old  small car.   But fun if you drive it thoughtfully.

Probably a side collision would be the worst.  

Avoid driving in the rain as the back end breaks loose easily.   I never drive in the rain.

Why a roll bar? For a street car or a daily driver the roll bar  becomes something to bang your head on in a collision unless you plan on wearing a helmet driving to the store.

Thanks for the replies, I am definitely staying pre-1975 because of smog reasons. I was thinking of the roll bar for added stiffness and rollover protection. The car will be tracked and autocrossed regularly. My gut says 240z haha

im looking for a l28et 240z anyway you can lead me in ghe direction of your old car, i been looking for months and no luck.