HybridZ

LS1 / T56 Update #47

Back in 2002-2005 I did a series of "LS1 / T56 Update" threads on the build done on my 1977 280Z by Johns Cars in Dallas, TX.  I just spent some time reading back through those updates and am realizing how far things have come since then in the LS S30 community. Interestingly almost nothing had happened with my car from 2005 until 2014.  Since then it's had a TTT suspension upgrade and is now having a bunch of other miscellaneous stuff being done to it.

Just for grins, though, I thought I'd continue the string of updates - with almost a 10 year lapse between this one and the previous one.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So the specially formed hoses for the heater control valve arrived.  The valve itself was checked out and is not leaking.

Dash repair didn't happen last week.  The guy couldn't do it. Have another "auto cosmetologist" coming to look at it this next Tuesday who is pretty confident he can repair it.

Checked on the LED lights and the board has been designed.  As it turns out my car will have the first of the new generation LED taillights from ZLEDslights and will also be the first 280Z to have sequential LED front turn signals and LED side marker lights.  Only thing I'm concerned about at this point is the flasher rate.

I know that my Z benefited from your LS built, David the PO was an attentive pupil then and I now enjoy this sexy beast . Wow how time flies , but shows that when done proper from the get go the results are rewarding.

I finally got my order actually placed with ZLEDslights.com today.  It took until yesterday to finalize the new design for the tail light LEDs.  The car will have a solid ring around both the brake and turn signal sections that is more solid appearing than previous versions.  The turn signals will be sequential and, of course, it will have white back-up lights.

The front turn signals will also be sequential and he has developed conversions for the front and rear fender side markers.  I am sticking with my amber and red lenses so I will have amber front and red rear LEDs. There is an option to have clear lenses and other potential color/lighting combinations. According to Samuel it will take about another 15 days to have the work done and the order ready to ship. He has links on his website, www.zledslights.com , that show the lights.

Got some good news today.  The "auto cosmetologist" was able to repair the cracks i the dash so it's all pretty again and the heater control valve is plumbed back in with the new hoses and hose clamps.

The OBDII connector is still AWOL. It just doesn't want to be found. Once it's located the gauges and new dash bulbs can go back into the dash and the dash can be put back into the car.  

Also hoping to get the clock repaired so it works.  That would be nice as it hasn't run in about 18 years.

ZLEDslights website is showing my lights in "manufacture" now.  That is supposed to be complete in about 10 days and then they should get installed into the lenses and tested prior to shipping back up here.  At this point that is the long lead item as everything else is here and ready to install as soon as the shop decides they want to work on the car.

Car also still needs the adjustable proportioning valve, the new center console, and the HID headlights done too.

• 2 weeks later...

Got a call from the shop today. They are freaking out over the difficulty of installing the white faced conversion on the gauges along with new light bulbs. Concerns about rusted screws and bubbles under the white-faced material. I'll be going there tomorrow to pick up the gauges and do it myself. Kind of thought I should be the one doing it anyway as I'll take the time to be patient and do it right.    Oh well.

No additional word from ZLEDslights about the LED conversion.  He has my money and his status board indicates progress but I'm getting a bit antsy after 3 weeks. 

Well, the progress bar at ZLEDslights indicates I'm still #3 in the que but I've gone from purple to blue so i guess that is progress.

Spent about 3 hours this weekend on the gauges.  Got the white face stickers on them even though one really didn't want to disassemble.  Ended up using some needle nosed vice grips to get the screws out as the heads wanted to strip. Went back together a lot easier with the help of a little WD-40. Also used some fluorescent orange fingernail polish on the needles to get the contrast against the white face and some Meguiars plastic headlight restore to clean up the lenses over the gauges.  Some of them were pretty nasty but not any more!

Thanks to 19762802+2 for his advice over in the interior forum.  I think I got my speedo & tach needles back where they belong.  The thing that caugt meow guard is the slope of the lenses on the three small gauges.  I got them apart and then realized there was a right and wrong way to reassemble to the housing. Fortunately the little locating buttons on the back of the lens rings did a good, and consistent, job of indication the way they should go.

Got the gauges back to the shop today but ended up keeping the clock to somehow track down someone that can repair.  Small town so not a lot of options.  I'm hoping for a lead from the technical institute in town.  Still 3rd in the que at ZLEDslights.  Fired Samuel an email Saturday but have had no reply at this point.

At this point I'll be missing the hillclimb at Maryhill Loop this next weekend. Car is still in many pieces and it's just not going to happen. Disappointing.  Now I'm beginning to wonder if I'll be back together in time for the NW Datsun meet in Canby, OR in June.

Turns out there is an old guy with a clock repair shop in Cle Elum, WA - about 60 miles from here - that does repairs on automobile clocks as well as cuckoo clocks, regulator clocks, etc.  Now all I have to do is get it to him and then get it back from him.  The issue is that he is only open from 9-4 Tuesday-Friday.  

Got two 280Z clocks to the clock repair guy today.  He was pretty excited about working on them because he was looking forward to a challenge. Pros and cons there. Anyway, if all works out I'll end up with two functioning clocks.

I will just post it here in case someone else may need it, hope that's ok.

APT Instruments 952-881-7095. They specialize in restoring all kinds of gauges and clocks. I had them do mine with a white face and orange needles. It's all hand painted and the wrokmanship its outstanding. Here are pictures of how mine turned out.

post-14557-0-59171000-1430601078_thumb.jpg

post-14557-0-63774600-1430601098_thumb.jpg

Those are gorgeous gauges. Exquisite detail and I like the chrome bezels. Those babies definitely set you back a pretty penny.  I have about $60 in mine right now but I figure it will be closer to $300 by the time I'm done.

Got my third color progress bar at zledslights.com this past week so things are moving along but I'm still third on the list behind a 240Z and a GTR.

Thanks guys, they were kind of expensive. I could have bought new aftermarket gauges for the price of restoring these but I always liked the S30 dash and gauges and wanted to keep the original ones. Chroming the plactic was a PITA.

Post some pics of your lights when you get done please, would love to see them.

Definitely will be posting photos.  I took a video of my stock rear turn signals in bright sunlight a couple months ago and you couldn't tell they were flashing unless you looked very closely.  I hoping that the new ones will be "In your face!" :-)

One of the few things I really miss about living in Texas was the Z clubs in the DFW area.  Lot's of stuff to do and a lot of guys that truly love the Z.  Loved harassing Mad Mike with my V8 because he is such a purist. :-)

Over in the Seattle area there are a lot of guys but that's a 2.5 hour drive each way through a mountain pass that is very snowy in the winter.  Not a good combo for a LS1 Z with high performance summer tires.