HybridZ

Looking for a 27 spline rear stub axle

AFCrain

As the title states, I'm looking for a 27 spline stub axle. I only need one. My car is an early 260z.

Thank you in advance.

Isn't early 260Z like 240Z?  25 spline?  I assume that the hub changed with the strut assembly, which was the short style in the early model S30's.  The bearings used are different size, from early to late.

Don't know, just asking...

The ZX axle will work in the early hubs if the dust shield is modified.  It's a way to use CV axles on 240Z's.  It's documented out there somewhere.  Not a straight bolt-in though.

Implies that there are short struts with 280Z bearings and axles.  Interesting.

Found a reference - http://forums.hybridz.org/topic/49194-differential-cv-lsd-hp-torque-r160-r180-r200-r230-diff-mount/

"240s have the weakest stub axles with a smaller diameter 25 spline shaft. 260s got the 240 stubs for the first part of production, then later got the 280s 27 spline shafts. T"

Also found this - "280 stub axles can be installed in 240 struts with no modifications and the wheel bearings and seals are the same in both cases. This upgrades the inner part of the shaft from 25 to 27 spline."

but I thought that the outer race dimension was different.  Now I'm confused.  Must be the inner flange that's different and not interchangeable.  Looks like you're covered, good luck.

Edited by NewZed

You may very well be correct for all I know. I'm not the first owner so I don't know what if anything has been done. All I know is what I currently have and therefore need. It's probably something to look into one day, but maybe not since I don't entirely intend to keep it stock. regardless of what they traditionally came with and what may or may not be a subject of conversation, I need a 27 spline stub axle because someone at some point decided to play whack-a-mole with a sledgehammer.