HybridZ

Stock insulator with ground control coilovers and tokico BZ3099

I have been searching and racking my brain all morning trying to figure out a good way to install the ground control coil overs with the stock strut insulator using the BZ3099. The strut tubes are already sectioned and ready for everything to be bolted on, I just cant think of the best way to do it. Obviously the 3099s wont fit into the stock insulators, but if I drill the insulator so the treads will fit through I feel like there wont be enough surface on the 3099s below the threads. so the other idea was the turn the 3099s threads into a "D" shape but still the stock insulator "D" will still need to be made bigger and im not sure on how to do that. I will attach a few photos of what I am talking about.  

Thank you for your help in advance!

post-47855-0-79064900-1427216674_thumb.jpg

post-47855-0-73106300-1427216682_thumb.jpg

How much thread sticks through?  You could put the nut on, then put two thin jam nuts on top.  Jam them to hold the shaft while you torque the lower nut.  You'll have to torque by feel though.

You could also grind two flats on the top of the shaft and use a thin open end to hold the shaft while you tighten the nut.

Edited by NewZed

Well that's the thing, I haven't drilled the hole in the insulator yet so I don't know how much thread will stick through. Maybe I'm over thinking this or maybe I've been up to long (going on 36 hours) wouldn't I want the insulator to bottom out on a ledge of the shaft on the bz3099 when bolted down? And wouldn't you want that ledge to be fairly large?

Use your cell phone and send us a pic of the top of your strut's shaft. Usually, the threads are smaller than the diameter of the shaft. So, you just drill the hole so just the threaded portion sticks thru. The shaft rests on the little plate that you drilled thru. After you get that figured out you need to figure out how you will mate the spring to the steering bearing. But lets do one step at a time. Use your cellphone to post some pics so we are on the same page.

You need to drill the hole large enough so that the metal plate in the insulator rests on the top shoulder of the shock shaft. The spring perch should rest on the bearing (in the front) and the plastic spacer (in the rear). Spring loads should NOT go through the shock.

I drilled the hole and tapped the insulator 14mm x 1.50 if anyone is ever wondering what the bz3099 thread is. It looks like I might have to shave some of the insulator rubber off so the top spring perch will rest on the bearing easier. Is this normal? Thank you for the tap idea, idk why I didn't think of that!