HybridZ

Odd 82 Turbo running issue.

skib

So I just picked up a super clean 82 ZXt from the original owner.
It ran great all the way home on the freeway (~2 hours), but started to intermittently sputter, stall, puff black smoke, and wanted to die at anything under 2300RPM

At first it would just do it a bit and then go away, but then it did it and died and took a while to restart.

Gave the ECU a smack to see if there might be some bad/loose solder connection and it fired up again, ran perfect.

Then drove it from my buddies back to my house and it ran great all the way home until the very end up started acting up a little but went away.

Drive it this morning, make it about 8 miles and it dies at a stop and wont re start and have to have it towed back.

When the car is having its fit and not wanting to re start there's spark at the plug wire and from the coil wire, and if you crank enough you can start to smell fuel.
But when your cranking it just cranking no coughing or anything and then it will just start when it finally does.
So I really don't know whats causing it to run terribly intermittently and making it not want to re start.

When its not acting up it runs fantastic and boosts strong. Green light comes on for the ECU and the fuel pump comes on fine.

Iv pulled the case off the ECU and don't see any damaged solder connections.

Edited by skib

I had a similar issue on my car. The problem was a loose connection at the temperature sensor (the one for the ECU not the dash gauge), causing the car to run extremely rich. Similar issue, lots of black smoke, no starting, etc. Check out that connection.

Edited by KyleG

Smacking stuff usually makes it worse and sometimes you're smacking something that wasn't broken. Try disconnecting the connector or wiggling instead to find intermittant faults.

Check the AFM and AFM plug as well as the CHTS and plug.

www.xenons130.com for the FSM and procedures for checking.

So the initial issue was an old battery, it worked but failed the load test and was driving the ECU mad.

Today had an issue of it dying with no running issue, RPM just dropped to idle... and kept going to 0 lol.

Plugs where soaked in fuel, put in some new plugs and a new CHTS and so far so good. 

The old man said he was driving it once a week but Im pretty sure it was just putting around the block so I have some other things to take car of like standard tune up and replacing some worn rubber bits.

A lot of parts like that are are old and haven't been kept up with him not really driving it.

Have another ECU on the way just to swap and comparable.

Edited by skib