HybridZ

I am not sure if I put the cart before the horse, but ...

I purchased a LS1 engine before I even have a car....A donor car was rear ended '04 Vette with 30k miles on it....

I have several cars I am looking at..but I have hurt my purchasing power on the Z...

I am told that only a T56 will work with an '04 LS1 engine...is this correct?

It is an LS1. There are several variations of the t56 transmission. The corvette had a T56 transaxle which would involve converting it to a traditional transmission that bolts to the back of the engine. It sounds like you only have the engine though. 

Assuming you want a manual, the T56 you want is out of a 98-02 Camaro (Z28 or SS) or Trans Am. This is the most common manual transmission for LS1 swaps. 

There are aftermarket variants of the T56 that will also work but cost more. You'll need to do some more research. Go onto LS1.com and get an education on what's involved with using an LS motor out of a 'vette with an F-body T56. Those guys there or at LS1tech.com are good sources.

I assume you're wanting a manual transmission, not an automatic like a 4L60E?

I talked to Joe at D&D Performance.  He said I need a T56 from a 98-02 Camaro or Trans Am as Kevin says....

Here is my question.. I believe I need the T56 that puts the shifter farther back...Is that how the above models have it?

I questioned putting in an automatic..I was dead set against it from the start..but in the end I dont think I would mind it.  Is the 4L60E the one to go with if I decide to?