HybridZ

Drive by Wire - Not responding?

I've reassembled the mechanicals after a 3-4 years break. To my delight the LS1 fired up straight away. The only note of interest was while I was in the cabin turning the key an observer said a puff of smoke came from the throttle body area as I turned the key. I thought perhaps it was dust burning off the MAF which is attached directly to the throttle body. As I understand it the MAF has a hot wire filament(?).

Anyway, when I pressed the starter button it burst into life. I left it idle and spent time checking for leaks, etc. Later when I started it again I got no response from the throttle - it starts and idles fine but will not rev.

I read where someone with a similar no-DbW response the owner found the motor in the throttle not working. Considering the puff of smoke on the initial turn of the key I thought perhaps the butterfly was stuck after the period on non-use and caused the motor to burn out.

I have also read that when the ignition is switched on the butterfly opens and closes quickly before the engine starts. I figured if mine did this then the butterfly motor should be okay. I had someone turn the key but what I did observe was the butterfly actually close from a slightly open position????

Any suggestions on how I might progress fixing this problem. Thanks.

PS. Don't suggest a cable.

Edited by Boy from Oz

The DBW works no matter the engine running or not.  Turn the key on with the DBW TB off and see if it works.  If not it sounds like you burnt up the motor.  Or get one used and see if it works with that one. 

The only thing I would suggest is find out why it blew so you do not blow up another one.  JMHO, Richard. 

I have not been working on Z's lately but do have a LS based motor swap in my shop.I am working on a 2004 vette z06 .It came without a gas pedal.After some research I found out you could run into problems if you dont have the pedal that matches your ecm and tac module.Later gen4 engines had the tac module built into the ecm.I decided to just get the vette pedal.Mix and match at your own risk.