HybridZ

Brake Booster Is Much Smaller Than Factory

Help: I bought this booster which was listed as fitting my '72 but it's much smaller than what I believe is factory:post-44185-0-45073600-1427983612_thumb.jpgpost-44185-0-45278600-1427983640_thumb.jpgpost-44185-0-66844000-1427983671_thumb.jpgpost-44185-0-64766300-1427983684_thumb.jpg

I purchased from Auto Parts Warehouse -- couldn't seem to locate anywhere else. Any thoughts? Everything looks like it's in the exact position as factory, just the housing itself is smaller.

Yes; sort of stock... Front disc, rear drums. Then stock slave -- abandoning stock pressure balancing valve and switch/light and installing manual adjustment valve. All else stock. So thank you! I was getting frustrated.

Any concerns or further queries -- always appreciatedpost-44185-0-83659200-1427993322_thumb.jpg

Kevin.pk

Thanks for that thread from Raayaap (?) - I asked: "I seem to be doing the same; getting rid of the distribution brake lite and pressure balancing valve. I'm reinstalling a manual adjustment balancing valve (son wants to drift when he wants ...). The rest of the brake system is stock. Can you tell me what problems you ran into? If any? Thanks."

Any of you have thoughts on this? The last time I asked this question, about a year ago, it was on a different forum and what a pain! Three wanna-be lawyers telling me how reckless and stupid this idea was...

So I guess I'm up for more abuse -- only Hybrid seems to attract a more knowledgeable crowd, or understanding of the youth's need to impress the chicks in the high school parking lot.

Yeah, Drifiting an early Z is dangerous and stupid. It is very hard to get enough steering angle, and the car is just not as repairable as the other "drift" cars that everyone seems to love. Really, why drift your difficult-to-repair, hard to get panels for, starting to appreciate in value classic automobile into a lightpost? To impress chicks in high school?

There are better, cheaper, easier to fix cars out there to drift in. As "ugly" as some think they are, the old boxy Volvos are *very* good at it out of the box.

The original one you had in the car is actually a larger 280z booster that a previous owner may have installed at some point. 

The smaller booster is actually correct for the stock 240z booster.

http://forums.hybridz.org/topic/99516-240z-vs-260-280-z-pedal-assemblies/?p=933168 

Not actually correct. Nissan started making changes to the brake system during 240Z production, including the larger brake booster. I don't know off hand exactly when the changes were implemented, but my '73 240Z has the larger booster, the later master cylinder, and the firewall mounted brake proportioning valve that are found on the 260Z and 280Z. It still had the earlier style drums though.

Nigel

So I'm wondering what performance issues I may be dealing with, with this smaller booster....

All new SS lines, rebuilt front and rear to stock (disc front, rear drum) and new slave from Black Dragonpost-44185-0-41631000-1428091526_thumb.jpgpost-44185-0-50435000-1428091549_thumb.jpgpost-44185-0-39476800-1428091559_thumb.jpg

Spacer isn't shown between slave and master, but it all lines up and seems to fit well.

No substance in your response Xnke.

Have to share some mechanical and engineering feedback, the substance, before you start lecturing. We "live a little" out here, and drive our classics... Like the fast women too.

There was. He did. You just didn't notice, or ignored it.

Alan T. (laughing at wannabe drifters since 1989).

Thanks for pointing that out, big guy.

I might look big to you, but actually I'm regular size.

It's just that I'm up here on my high horse and you're really, really, really weeny.

Here's a tip: Show member Xnke a little more respect. He's one of the people here who know what they are talking about. And that's why you came here, isn't it?

Here's another tip: Factories usually are pretty big. Bigger than most brake boosters, anyway...

I remember a few posts by this guy. His son is 15, and it's boosted, has a welded diff, and has shitty stretched tires. And it seems to me that Dad is doing most of the work, based on the way he writes his posts. Handing a new driver, that doesn't yet have a handle on the effects of testosterone, a car like that is a recipe for disaster, and yes, absolutely stupid. There's a reason you have so many people telling you it's stupid - IT IS! And impressing high school chicks? Are you kidding me?