HybridZ

Tim and New Zed: only item I'm still wondering about: the aluminum cell doesnt have an internal rubber bladder. I mounted it well with a lot of support with no potential for abrasive vibration, and it's in exactly the same spot as stock... Is there a reason to worry about this in a daily driver?

Tim and New Zed: only item I'm still wondering about: the aluminum cell doesnt have an internal rubber bladder. I mounted it well with a lot of support with no potential for abrasive vibration, and it's in exactly the same spot as stock... Is there a reason to worry about this in a daily driver?

I don't consider myself a fuel cell expert, so maybe NewZed has better advice, but my initial reaction is that it's probably not a problem - the stock tank doesn't have one either.  I would think that a bladder would be safer in a crash though.  

If you are planning on running E85 you will want a bladder - un-anodized aluminum doesn't fare well with ethanol.

This does beg the question as to why you are using a fuel cell in the fist place, especially in a daily driver.  It will work, but it's not likely to be any safer on the street, you don't have extreme fuel delivery demands, and depending on how you implement the filler it might actually be less convenient and less safe.  "Race" stuff isn't always better for the street.

That said, what _are_ you plans for getting fuel into the fuel cell?  I'd be more worried about that for a street application at this point.

Edited by TimZ

Thanks Tim; we removed the tank anticipating locating I believe a '76 tank, the earliest compatible model with a baffle. We had the turbo motor, and we're replacing all fuel lines, etc.. A fuel cell became an easier to acquire option. Also, the $700+ cell-pump combos scared me off...

We aren't going to run E85.

I found a neck and breather combo which fits perfectly. Also a filler inlet at a 45 degree angle for the top of the cell. I will be doing some Sheetmetal fab around all where the spare used to sit. I'll post pics when I'm doing it.

I found a neck and breather combo which fits perfectly. Also a filler inlet at a 45 degree angle for the top of the cell. I will be doing some Sheetmetal fab around all where the spare used to sit. I'll post pics when I'm doing it.

...So it's going to get plumbed to the stock external filler then?  Or something else?

I'm far from expert myself.  Just repeating odds and ends I've picked up.  

What's inside the fuel cell now?  No baffles, or pickup system?  Seems odd to build just a large rectangular steel box for fuel.