HybridZ

Big Cam Sound

I've been successful in working through a spate of problems... and for now, the new engine is running pretty well.  When I got back from logging some Air Fuel Ratio runs, I captured a short video of the new engine sound.  Sorry the sound quality isn't great - I think a lot of reverb is coming from being in the garage, but the picture quality is nice :)

The cam is a Kinetic Sunbelt grind.  Exhaust is 3" with two round mufflers, one in the tunnel and one at the back.

Edited by inline6

Sounds ridiculously mean... I think you need to buy a new mic for your camera though.   :lol:   What are the specs on the engine build?

Here are the specs on the short block.  The engine was to be a 3.0 stroker, but sonic testing the walls of the block revealed that we should only bore out to 88 mm and not 89 mm.  The rods are about 8 mm longer than stock (but around 180 grams lighter) and the crank was offset ground (and lightened) to increase the stroke to 80.391 mm instead of the stock 280z's 79 mm... vs. the diesel crankshaft's 83 mm.  Pistons are custom JE forged units to provide 11 to 1 compression ratio with the larger bores, longer stroke, and longer rods.    

Head is an E88 that has been milled over .100" to reduce combustion chamber size and to attempt to get "some" quench.  If I had it to do again, I'd weld up the chambers and then make them custom to run with flat top, forged pistons... to get the 11 to 1 compression ratio.

Cam specs are:

Intake
Seat duration 320 degrees
.050" duration 290 degrees
Valve lift with zero lash .565"
Net valve lift .550"

Exhaust
Seat duration 315 degrees
.050" duration 274.8 degrees
Valve lift with zero lash = .565"
Net valve lift =.550"

This cam uses an unusual single valve spring instead of an inner and outer.  The installed load is only ~ 60 lbs on the seat.  At max lift, the load is only about 190 lbs.  Max RPM is 7700.  I am using titanium retainers.

Carbs are Mikuni 44 PHH (sidedraft) with 37 mm chokes. Header is a Nissan Comp unit with 1 3/4" primaries...twin outlet to a merge collector, followed by a 3" custom stainless exhaust.

Here is my engine build thread on hybridz if you want to read in more detail:

WOW this L Series makes my Cammed LS look like a bitch. Beautiful engine bay as well. 

Thanks!

Edited by inline6