HybridZ

vapor canister remove or not?

I have a new custom built tank. I have searched the forums and there seems to be conflicting theories as to remove or keep the vapor canister. If I remove it do I need a vented cap or is there anything else I need to do for venting? without the canister am I going to smell fuel? what are the advantages of having it or not?

With my SBC 350 swap I completely eliminated the vapor tank and all of the hoses except for the top most hose that connects to the filler tube. The top most hose allows air to vent as the tank is filled.  All of the tail light gaskets and hatch seals were replaced. No vapor odors at all.

With my SBC 350 swap I completely eliminated the vapor tank and all of the hoses except for the top most hose that connects to the filler tube. The top most hose allows air to vent as the tank is filled.  All of the tail light gaskets and hatch seals were replaced. No vapor odors at all.

You must have installed a vented cap, otherwise you will collapse the tank as your pump draws fuel.

I battled the vapor smell for long time and had the charcoal canister in place (camaro plastic tank). There's a valve on the canister that's nominally open (probably until it receives a signal to close).  Once i removed the canister and that valve my setup works perfect. 

One large vent line (that went to the old canister) that reroutes to top of the filler neck. Allows large air flow out when filling the tank. Kept stock cap.

A line that T's off that one at a smaller diameter that has another T which has a check valve in and check valve out.  The valves have a low 'cracking' pressure and they are nominally closed. So the system is sealed shut just sitting in the garage. 

The 'IN" allows for air into the tank when the tank is being emptied. 

The "OUT" allows for the car to sit out in the heat and to release pressure if needed. The camaro tank has an overpressure valve on it too but wanted to add another.