HybridZ

can't get clock to go back in the dash

tolerate

Hi All,

This seems to be a stupid problem to have, but I bought the car from someone that swapped the clock with a boost gauge, and it seems to have the 280z clock housing, so in theory it should fit in the clock hole in the dash.  However, the clock/boost gauge housing (black rim thing) is too big for the hole in the dash.  Is there a trick to this or do i have to enlarge the dash hole?

for clarification, I'm trying to install it from behind the dash.

Edited by tolerate

You sure about that? As far as I know they're installed from the back.

This, all S30s have the OEM gauges mounted from behind, other than the Speedo and tach, which mount from the front.

To the OP:

You didn't specify what car you are trying to install the clock into.

The 240 uses a different mounting cup/ring than the 260/280Z, so if you're trying to use the wrong mounting cup/ring in the wrong dash it won't fit.

This, all S30s have the OEM gauges mounted from behind, other than the Speedo and tach, which mount from the front.

To the OP:

The 240 uses a different mounting cup/ring than the 260/280Z, so if you're trying to use the wrong mounting cup/ring in the wrong dash it won't fit.

Sorry guys I have a 1977 280z.  the previous owner removed it and replaced with a boost gauge. I guess he had trouble reinstalling it as well.  Im guessing the gauge is from the stock 280z gauge.  Just verifying the install.  I tried pushing it in fron the back, but I'm breaking my dash in the process.  Guess I'm alone with the problem.  I'll grab the caliper and measure the gauge against the volt and oil pressure gauge.

To the OP:

Do you know if the 240z mounting ring is smaller than the 280z's, Im sure the dash is 280z.

Ok, I think we need to back up here.

I thought originally you were trying to remove the boost gauge and install a clock.

Are you trying to install the boost gauge?

If so, what I see in the pictures is normal. There's a technique to getting the gauge rings to fit into the holes of the dash. They don't just fall into the holes, even on the 240 dashes.

You need to start on one side and kinda hook it into the hole, and then by pushing at that hooked side and kinda oscillating the gauge, you get the rest of the lip to fit through. Kinda hard to explain in text. But simply put, the gauges I have installed have (almost) never just fallen into the dash hole, they take a bit of moving and twisting and manipulation of the gauge to get it to slide in.

Ok, I think we need to back up here.

I thought originally you were trying to remove the boost gauge and install a clock.

Are you trying to install the boost gauge?

If so, what I see in the pictures is normal. There's a technique to getting the gauge rings to fit into the holes of the dash. They don't just fall into the holes, even on the 240 dashes.

You need to start on one side and kinda hook it into the hole, and then by pushing at that hooked side and kinda oscillating the gauge, you get the rest of the lip to fit through. Kinda hard to explain in text. But simply put, the gauges I have installed have (almost) never just fallen into the dash hole, they take a bit of moving and twisting and manipulation of the gauge to get it to slide in.

Sorry for the initial confusion..

when you say one side, do you mean the left/right or bottom/top? because it seems the top and bottom of the dash are too small and the left and right sides are too big.

I have a clock in the garage.  Measure your boost gauge and I'll dig mine out and measure it.  Although, the fact that it's breaking your dash implies that it's too big.  It was probably never in there.

Yeah, your descriptive efforts have caused confusion.  It sounded like you were trying to re-install the stock clock.

The vinyl and foam shrink and warp over the years.  They dry out and crack.  You may want to warm them up a bit.  If it were mine, I'd put it in just like you were trying in the pictures but first stick a stiff piece of plastic or a piece of manila folder (stiff but thin paper or plastic sheet or the like) on the bottom 1/3 to 1/2 of the opening to help the gauge make it past the edge of the hole without busting up the vinyl any more than necessary.  Pull the sheet out as you're pushing the gauge in - it's gonna catch on the ledge of the gauge pod anyway.

I did kind of the same thing with my clock housing years ago.  I mounted the boost gauge innards from a 280ZXT into my clock housing.  That's been my boost gauge ever since I did the turbo swap.

The vinyl and foam shrink and warp over the years.  They dry out and crack.  You may want to warm them up a bit.  If it were mine, I'd put it in just like you were trying in the pictures but first stick a stiff piece of plastic or a piece of manila folder (stiff but thin paper or plastic sheet or the like) on the bottom 1/3 to 1/2 of the opening to help the gauge make it past the edge of the hole without busting up the vinyl any more than necessary.  Pull the sheet out as you're pushing the gauge in - it's gonna catch on the ledge of the gauge pod anyway.

I did kind of the same thing with my clock housing years ago.  I mounted the boost gauge innards from a 280ZXT into my clock housing.  That's been my boost gauge ever since I did the turbo swap.

Just got back from vacation i'll get the hair dryer out and give it a shot tonight.