HybridZ

Options For Pinning A Fiberglass Hatch...

fyanrudger

Bought Aerocatch pins ages ago back when I thought I was getting a FG hatch from ______ with hinge provisions. Just got my hatch from Benchmark Composites last week and it doesn't look possible to run the stock hinges...right? I have no real need to open the hatch on a regular basis and not against pinning all four corners, but I'm still running hinges/two aerocatches in the front and had it in my head that I'd do the same for the back. I've typed this out and it's rather obvious now, but hey, I typed. 

Photo of 

You can run the stock hinges.  Stan reinforces the inner frame where the hinge attaches to the hatch.  You have to drill the holes yourself and then use a nut and bolt to clamp the reinforced part.  You will probably have to drill two larger holes on the window side of the inner frame to get the nut on the bolt and a socket on the nut.  You can plug that later with a small rubber plug.

Its a pain in the ass to do this and get the hatch properly aligned.  Assume about 6 hours of careful work.

If this is a race car then one option is to remove the stock hinges and place a plate with holes where they go.  Then on the hatch you make a 1/4 to 3/8 pin that goes into these.  Very easy to pull off but holds the car.  Normal hood pins or aerocatch can be used on the rear end.

Cary

• 3 weeks later...

Followed Tube's suggestion. Turned out well and lined up decent enough with a bit of weather stripping. Two 1/4 pins on each side using nutserts. Used the existing brackets for the aerocatch rods and added my own ugly brackets/welds to stiffen them up. 

post-32762-0-74845600-1430537540_thumb.jpg

post-32762-0-46445900-1430537542_thumb.jpg

So the top part, where the latches were, is just held in with some pins/rods? Like ikea funiture? I'm trying to get an idea of this because I'd like to do this one day. Also what are your plans for a rear window?

Edit: would it be too much to ask, for a picture of the hatch on the hinge side? 

Edited by BluDestiny

Excuse the shotty hardware...had to go through the scrap bin at the new shop. Rear window is a lexan one provided by Benchmark with hardware/straps. Overall very impressed with the quality the hatch. There was a couple of waves that required a few hours of work, but I'm sure that's to be expected with most FG parts.

post-32762-0-91215900-1430756878_thumb.jpg