HybridZ

240Z seat comfort?

mditt8671

I just picked up a 1972 parts car today to get some steel and a hood, and it came with the original seats. The car I'm working on had seats from a more modern car installed. These vintage seats need new vinyl, and possibly new foam in places, but other than that they're in good shape and I believe complete.

How is the driving comfort of the original seats? I'm torn between going strictly for comfort vs. going for a more original look.

I would recommend replacing the foam with the vinyl if you recover your seats.  In the grand scheme of things, it would probably be cheaper to go with a set of Miata or S2000 seats or whatever you could find locally.  I decided I wanted original and got the foam to go with it, don't expect much lateral support compared to newer designs but it will look original and you will be in less pain after a long drive.

With enough re-work any seat can be comfortable. IMO the stock original seats are typical of '70s seats. Just something to sit on while the car is in motion, but not really set up for great comfort.

I plan to keep my original seat frames and such and re-work the foam and eventually the make new covers that have better bolsters and better comfort.

The sad truth is economy cars of the last decade (or more) have far more comfortable seats than the S30 ever had.

So it depends on where you want to put the work into, re-working the original seats, or fitting new seats to the car for improved comfort.

Edited by Six_Shooter

I guess I should specify that this car isn't going to be going on long drives. This is going to be a summertime fun car, dry weather, local car shows, etc. 

The old seats don't seem TOO bad sitting on the garage floor, but I'm guessing that will change a bunch when you're in the cockpit.