HybridZ

KIA WEATHER STIPPING

parman

I do not know what year Kia Sportage but I did see a set in a very well done car from Oregon last year. The owner said they worked great and way better than any of the after market companies making door seals. He also said the cost was minimal, something like $34. I do not remember his name but remember his car, it was one of the higher quality built Z I have seen. I have never seen his car on here but maybe he is lurking and will chime in.

Hey Parman,

I will be getting my order of UWS 133-25 rubber (25 ft) on Monday. I found a cross section of the infamous Kia rubber and it looks the same. Picked up this weatherstripping for 40 dollars off of ebay from JC Whitney. 

Hope this helps. 

UWS

I found it is 98-02 kia sportage and it looks great and works great. alot easier to close the doors and it seems to seal really well...

I was thinking it was an 03 I was close. Yes it works great the guy that showed me his car had me open and close the doors. It was just like a factory seal. The first thing I purchased when I started to think about a build was a set of factory door seals I found online at a Nissan Dealer. As I recall I paid $150-165 per side. I did not take them out of the package although one had been opened prior to me receiving them. When it got to the point in my build to install the door seals(about three years later) I ended up having two left door seals. Someone at the dealer put a left door seal in a package labeled right door. So, I have a after market seal on the right side. It is very hard to close and open the door right side door and the factory side is fine.

Here we are guys. I don't have much to compare this rubber to (my first time with a Z) but I highly recommend this weatherstripping. 

Very easy to install, just press the stripping onto the metal grooves (used a mallet in some spots to make sure it was securely on). 

UWUUWS 133-25 is what I found on ebay and JC Whitney ($40 for 25 ft, enough for both doors and hatch with plenty to spare).

So here are some photos:

IMG 3235[1]

IMG 3243[1]

IMG 3241[1]

IMG 3244[1]

What the hatch looked like when I didn't tape the hing stripping down.

IMG 3245[1]

The tape job (will remove tape tomorrow and let time heal all wounds)

IMG 3246[1]

With the tape holding stripping down

Let me know what you guys think and if you have any suggestions to get the hatch flush. 

Best,

Jason

Edited by JaaS0on

• 2 weeks later...

Here we are guys. I don't have much to compare this rubber to (my first time with a Z) but I highly recommend this weatherstripping. 

Very easy to install, just press the stripping onto the metal grooves (used a mallet in some spots to make sure it was securely on). 

UWUUWS 133-25 is what I found on ebay and JC Whitney ($40 for 25 ft, enough for both doors and hatch with plenty to spare).

So here are some photos:

What the hatch looked like when I didn't tape the hing stripping down.

The tape job (will remove tape tomorrow and let time heal all wounds)

With the tape holding stripping down

Let me know what you guys think and if you have any suggestions to get the hatch flush. 

Best,

Jason

Was there no adhesive used? Just a mallet to pound it down?

Was there no adhesive used? Just a mallet to pound it down?

Yep, used a little adhesive on the top of the door frames just in case. Everything is still in place and shuts quite nicely now. 

Got my 25' installed, both doors with about 2 feet extra. My hatch seal is still... there so not worried about it, this car has not had proper weather stripping since I got it ;p

Looks great, used black gasket sealer to adhere top parts, other parts seem to be staying put just being crimped in. Only comment I have, and since I've never had weather stripping this might be normal; is I have to give the doors a pretty decent slam otherwise they don't seem up all the way.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone have a couple feet of this weatherstrip left over? I don't want to buy 25' rolls as you see in JC Whitney. I just need a couple feet to keep the gutted doors on my race car from rattling.

Jon, it's a common "side bulb on welt" type of weatherstrip.  We have a few stores in our area that carry long rolls of it and sell it by the foot.  (I only pulled Kia weatherstrip once - now I just buy new in the exact length I want)  I'd be surprised if there weren't a store or two near you that carried it.  One here is an auto-paint / restoration supply shop that sells retail.  Two of them are "Fabric Outlets" that sell odd lots of upholstery material for home, auto, and marine.  They carry auto upholstery, weatherstrip, and carpet (trunk liner, head liner, foams, etc.).  Hot Rod shop may carry it too...