HybridZ

How to get stock height with a 400 SBC?

Title says it all, I'd like to replace the springs and struts in the front (and the rear) but I'd like to keep the ride height as close to stock as I can. Does anyone have experience with using 280Z lowering springs on a 240? Would that work? Any advice is appreciated.

The car is a '73 240Z with a '79 400 small block and Saginaw 4 speed. All the suspension appears stock right now and the front sags quite a bit compared to my parts car with the stock L24 motor.

Thanks

Back in the day I tired Motosports lowering springs. Looked cool, but hated the parking bumps, Apples left in the road etc. I went to the red Arizona Z car springs, the ones that have higher rate, but near stock height. Love them and never looked back. I don't see them on their site anymore, but every now and then they pop up used. Also found with my 383, T56, Aluminum heads, manifold, waterpump, lightweight flywheel etc really lightened the front end. 

Not as hunkered down but easier to drive around in the real world

zzz009-2.jpg

Edited by John Scott

Something is wrong with how you current suspension is set up. Swapping to a sbc with a 4 speed will not make the front drop at all. That setup is +/- 50 pounds from the stock engine and trans combo with more of the weight rear biased than the stock setup.

Joe

I realize it's hard to tell from the pictures, I couldn't get a good angle especially on the second one. But the parts car (the black one) sits about 5/8" higher than the silver one. Same size tires, same size rims, relatively similar tread on both tires and nothing significant (weight-wise) is missing from the parts car. If anything, the parts car (the taller one) could be sagging somewhat because I can see it has noticeable negative camber. 

IMG_0801_zpsruigibpd.jpg

IMG_0796_zpsc2qn1sqk.jpg

By the way, the reason I want stock height is for taller tires. I'm running a 400 SBC, 4 speed (1:1 4th) with the 3.54 r180 and this thing is like a tractor. Taller tires are the cheapest and easiest way I can think of to make this thing a little more freeway friendly. If nothing else, I at least don't want the front to ride any lower and I do want to improve the suspension. Again, any and all advice appreciated.

Thanks

When I upgraded to new Nissan "Euro" springs on my stock engined 240 I expected the 1/2 or so lowering they claim comes with them.  Instead the new springs raised the car about that much.  Quite possible your existing springs are just worn out and need replacing.

Be careful going with a tire over 25" tall.  Guaranteed to cause rubbing at full lock in the front and depending on width can cause issues out back as well

One last suggestion, coil overs will solve your problems.  I resisted them for years (decades actually) but finally had to go to them to stop all the rear wheel well interference due to a high HP V8 and tires that are just too tall for the car.  They are not hard to install and give you tons more options for spring rates, ride height and not to mention better tire clearance.  Don't section your struts and all you need to do is grind off the existing perches and have a washer welded in place.  Simple to do, a weekend task really, maybe $40 to get them welded at a shop if you don't weld.  It is really really nice to be able to fine tune ride height with coil overs.

Edited by zdlite

Ok, rags, so maybe these stock springs/struts are just worn out? And if I were to replace my struts and springs with new OEM type replacements, it should return to stock height?

If the springs are the originals, I'm sure they have lost some of their original specs. New OEM springs would restore the original ride height.

280Z lowering springs would make the front lower than a stock 240Z and wouldn't work at all  in the rear as they have a different length.

Joe

Ok so I did some more reading, most Z owners say their fenders are around 26-27" from the ground with stock tires. My fenders are 25.25" in front and 25.75" in the back, I'm pretty sure this thing is lowered.

Also, I won't likely find any markings. It looks like everything is covered in undercoating.