HybridZ

LS2 HybridZ 240 Sets 3 ECTA Records

Yeah, and you are faster than me! You doing GA 1/2-mile again? That was my shake-down for this (recognize my staying in 4th for the 150-run?). I will probably sit the GA 1/2 out this year and stay home to autocross or drag. Or try to remember my wife's name....

Stock LS2. Only modifications are under drive crank pulley (to make it clear steering rack), JTR headers (easiest fit), and fake intake system (easily worth 100hp!). All other chassis mods were just to get it to pass safety inspection (the real challenge). I posted this in the GenIII forum to encourage us all. If I can do this ANYBODY can. This is a tired, worn-out car with a loose outer tie-rod and front and rear hub races loose in the castings. The camera is very forgiving - it's a good 20-footer.

Edited by RebekahsZ

• 1 month later...

Back for second meet of 2015 with headlight covers and an airdam/splitter. Upped class records to 174.2 mph. But having some handling difficulties at top end. Hard to believe, but 174 is a LOT faster than 167. Talked to johnc after I cut off the splitter (was building enough downforce to lower front end 3 full inches and the splitter scrapped the track!) and we are gonna try to add some toe-in.

Texas 300-what rear setup are you running again?  Glad to hear you are getting some miles on that car.  I still have to get under my car and inspect EVERYTHING.  I made (2) 174.2 runs on Saturday, which had a tailwind, but it wasn't a huge tailwind.  While the car is faster with the airdam, it gave up some stability and became twitchy at speed and damn scary under braking.  Talking with johnc and the guys at the track, the downforce of the airdam and splitter pushed down the front and added toe-out.  Braking compounded that and scared the shit out of me on record run #2.  I was so freaked that I didn't turn that timeslip in and told my brother that we were putting the car on the trailer and leaving in the morning.  After watching the meet from a folding chair I got my balls out of my throat and decided to work on the car (honestly, after your first landspeed event, watching other guys go fast is a lot like watching a swim meet, minus the speedos).  So we went to Lowes and bought all the tools I had left at home (the tool you didn't bring is ALWAYS the tool that you need) and hacked off the splitter and re-finished the fiberglass (I'm getting decent with glass work and didn't want to have to do it when I got home-I'm tired of itching).  Using a set of $2 ceramic floor tiles from Lowes as toe plates and a matched pair of $4 tape measures, we gradually increase toe from my autocross setting of 1/16" out to 1/4" in (total).  Staying in 4th gear at about 150mph for 3 runs of TnT, I found that the car was lots safer under braking, but was still very light in the front with the right pedal on the floor.  Ripped off (2) 167mph runs into a big-ass headwind to finish the meet.  I will return with a whole new front-end alignment and spring rate plan next June.  Truck's clutch hydrauilcs shit on me about 20 minutes from home, so I limped in and hit the sack. Cleaning fiberglass dust out of the garage this week, then I start on the truck's clutch and airconditioning.  Will be dailying the Z this week, then I make the tranisition for the road course day at ZCON in the middle of July.  Pictures and videos when I have time. Down-loaded go-pro videos, but I'm having trouble (newly changed to MAC) getting vids from my video editor (did some serious cropping) to youtube.  Unfortunately, I turned the camera off instead of on right before my really scary bump-steer run.  That would have been really educational for the forum.  Not fun to put on the brakes at 174 and have the car steer almost off the track to the right, then get off and straighten up, only to have it try to drive you off the track to the left.  Johnc came to my rescue via an emergency PM and we got that toe adjusted-made all the difference in the world.

Edited by RebekahsZ

Glad to hear you are getting very familiar with your set up.  I am still working on my suspension.  The car will go back to the shop for a Kevlar blanket on the tranny and the driveshaft loop.  I have to save up money for the adjustable LCAs for the front and rear which should take care of all of my suspension issues.  Keep plugging away at it.  You really have my wheels spinning thinking that I might want to dabble in Mile runs as well......

Drag/turbo/NO2 guys are so much faster! Sunny/Foster/zguy/Cobra Matt/Mikelly/et al. I'm afraid it will take boost to go to next level and that may happen, but likely on a different platform. Looking forward to new shop opening up possibilities. Still no driveway due to non-stop rain in AL since fall. Plus truck still plagued with demons. Hope to get that sorted so winter can be all about the Z. Mostly want to make it more safe before returning for some more poor-man's dyno/wind tunnel, AKA standing mile.