HybridZ

TrackZpeeds CXRacing LS1 T56 240z

Phantom, I read on one of your post that you kept the stock fuel lines and tank? I was under the impression stock line didn't allow enough flow and stock tank fittings would hold the efi pressure requirements. Can you elaborate? Thanks. Jim

Jim,

My fuel pump is external and located in the same location as the original 280Z fuel pump.  That puts the tank on the suction side of the pump so as long as the vent works there is no issue.  My LS1 is bone stock so the line sizes are plenty sufficient for the fuel it requires.  I have a Corvette style pressure regulator/bypass valve mounted just before the engine fuel rails in the engine bay so I utilize both the supply and return lines.

Salvage parts list:

Engine,

Transmission,

ECU

Engine wiring harness,

O2 sensors (2) 

Fans and fan shroud (they almost perfectly fit a 280Z radiator that has been recored to a 4-row and I've had 0 cooling problems.

Cruise control components if you want to incorporate that function.

Do you have AC?  If you want to keep it then keep all the Datsun AC components except the compressor.  You'll need a compact compressor if you want to mount it in the high position (above the alternator) on the driver's side.

If you intend to keep the stock speedometer you'll need to get a CableX box to convert the electronic output from the T56 to drive the speedometer/odometer.  Other option would be a different tailshaft on the T56 that has a mechanical output.

Bill

Edited by Phantom

I forgot you had a 280 with prior fuel injection..... No cruise control or AC for me.  I plan to weld in a sump to my stock 240 tank with a vette filter regulator and external pump.  My motor is basically stock although supposedly with a hot cam (need to verify but it may be the C5 cam).... and I have no plans for monster power.  I'm told the 98 motor has a different fuel rail set up that sounds like I wont need a return line except the one off the filter (correct?).  Thanks so much for your input, you are a wealth of great info for me to avoid frustrating and costly do-overs.  Jim

Jim,

Correct about the fuel rail difference.  It also has a different head design.  One year newer and I would have had a better, more parts available, motor.  Not unhappy with the way it works though. :-)

Glad to help out anytime. Been fooling with this car for 23 years now, 12 with the LS1, so always willing to share the mistakes.

dropping tank and Datsun lines this weekend..... also still working on cleaning up the engine bay.  Can I ditch the huge (solenoid????) that was connected to the Datsun alternator?  It's wired into the harness on the passenger frame rail which I need to keep for chassis electrics but I don't know it's function or if its necessary in an LS swap.  Thanks Guys, Jim  

Having added a sump to a stock tank myself, I would not take that approach if I could do it all over. The stock tank is a bitch to get in and out. Plus, it fits the car do tightly that there is no room for some of the things that an LS-Z eventually winds up needing: like a parachute and a trailer hitch. It's just too crowded.

trackzpeed, I end up doing a sump to my 240's fuel tank and ran whole new steel line for main line. I'm utilizing a corvette filter/regulator but keeping it by the tank so that's one less line to run.

Thanks for the info. Where did you buy your sump? Summit has one but its 11" long and may need be modified a bit to make it work. I'm planning the same as you but intended not to use the steel line..... Are you by passing the expansion tank or keeping it? I was going to ditch it but it will make venting to the fill the tank a bugger. Are you running 8 or 6 an fittings from sump to pump and filter ? Thanks again.

Having added a sump to a stock tank myself, I would not take that approach if I could do it all over. The stock tank is a bitch to get in and out. Plus, it fits the car do tightly that there is no room for some of the things that an LS-Z eventually winds up needing: like a parachute and a trailer hitch. It's just too crowded.

Thanks Keith. My original plan was fuel cell but i don't like the filler option inside the driver/pass space. No need for a chute as I can't run the 1/4 to save my life lol. Strictly a road racer/autoX/mountain/spirited weekend guy. Since the Z is unibody, I worry a touch about removing the wheel well and properly supporting again with big costs..... Figure if I sump the stock tank I can always change my mind later. Thanks again. Jim

^Did you do that yourself? What was done to prep it? I have been contemplating a low pressure pump>surge>high pressure pump>filter setup but am not completely sold. Have toyed with the sump idea, just not sure what to do for complete prep work. I Have read hot tank followed by argon purge during welding.

Correct! The sump came with 1/2 fittings and just ordered some -8an to 1/2 npt fittings and seems to do the job well enough. 

As for prep.. just clean the tank and make sure no fuel is left. then cut and sand the area and weld her in. The sump had to be modified as shown to fit the bend in the tank. a simple pie slice cut out of each side of the sump and a hammer to bend it over.

Honestly didn't even argon purge the tank as I was already low on my tank. Might have been because it was a overlap joint vs butt joint.  But verified no leaks and didn't have to touch anything up. Afterwards I dumped a bunch of Ospho in the tank to make sure any rust that was left got removed. The white film you see in that picture is also from ospho.. the weld looked much better before the ospho lol. Wish I would have taken a picture after the weld vs after ospho.

Edited by CableSrv