HybridZ

TrackZpeeds CXRacing LS1 T56 240z

Damn Jim, I hate to hear this and would never have thought that company would drop the ball on so many levels. It worries me as I was strongly considering using their services for custom axle lengths for a Ford 8.8 irs swap. I actually have a set of custom 280zx turbo cv axles that I bought off of another member years ago. According to him they were supposed to be rated to 900hp capable. I have not used them as the build project is at a snails pace and I am now committed to the Ford 8.8 irs swap. I certainly hope you have no problems with a full refund.

Edited by Nelsonian
I can't spell anymore

I don't know Joe personally but I would for sure give him a chance. He is all about the datsun community...Whitehead is OK but I mentioned before that I had problems waiting 8 months for my stub axles from them. They just kept giving me excuses every week.

UPDATE:  DSS is asking for the stub axles back again for one more try.  Sending them back today.  As frustrating as this has been, I will at least give DSS credit for repeatedly trying to make it right.  Side note:  the CV axles appear to be too short as well........ With all of the drama surrounding this conversion I measured every single part  yesterday and the axle bar is 1 inch too short.  DSS asked me to bolt up the stubs when they arrive and take measurements...... They will replace the axle bar once they know the stubs fit properly.  Just another step to take the half shaft cv axles back apart and send them back for correction.   As long as I'm back racing by march-april I'm good to go.  Thanks to the community and vendors that have reached out in private  and forum for all the help and support.  Jim

• 3 weeks later...

Well it finally all fits!  Car is back together and waiting for a performance alignment with new TTT LCA's.  It took DSS 4 attempts to get the stub axles machined to OEM spec but they finally got it done. Personally, I would use checkered flag racing if I did it again, but I will give Lee at DSS a lot of credit for contuniually working to find a fix.   Hopefully DSS will now have the proper specs for future buyers to avoid all the hassles I went through.     Jim 

• 2 weeks later...

Top 7 in autoX today. Car performed great, new parts made handling a dream. Driver screwed the pooch on this one.  I only posted 2 times and had to DNF’s.  Looking forward to wider rear tires. I lack so much mechanical grip it’s easy to over drive the car.  I’ll try to post a clip soon. 

Good to see that you've worked through most of your problems and have gotten that S30 on the road.

I'm fixing things 2nd & 3rd time around on mine as age and miles have been catching up with it.  Over 245,000 on the odometer now - had to have that rebuilt too. :<)

Spent about 3 weeks this winter getting a bunch of things fixed and now the car is ready to go for another season.  Best it's been in 3-4 years.

What are you running for tires now? I've got some older Dunlop Direzza's (300 treadwear) that I'll be needing to replace in a year or two.  Down to 4-5/32's. They hold pretty well on hot pavement but not for crap when it gets cold.

4 hours ago, trackzpeed said:

Currently running Khumo V720 200 tread 245 front and 255 rear..... Adding Falken RT615K+  200 tread 275 40 17 to the rear soon.

My son is running 275/40-17's (BFG's) on the rear of his '73 240Z but they are all-weather types so he has like zero traction.  He also has a lot less weight sitting on them than I do also. I see that they've changed the allowable treadwear rating to run in the street classes for autox.  That will make things a little more interesting as the cars will now have a little less grip.

Track specs from alignment sticky. -2.75 front camber with as much caster as I could get with tire rub (I forget off the top of my head) and -2 rear camber with 1/8 toe in. My car has never turned in better..... Picking good lines pays off well but a miss step is pretty unforgiving. I went for throttle stear and lost the back end.... more rubber/traction and I would have totally nailed the line and recovered.  I have a habit of overdoing it and it stops being “fun” so I’m fighting the urge to put on A7’s with a second set of wheels. Heroic mechanical grip but I have corded a new set in one season and that’s a lot of coin for a bragging rights trophy.