HybridZ

TrackZpeeds CXRacing LS1 T56 240z

im sure you have already dealt with all of them but becareful with whitehead, they told me 4-6weeks for stub axles and it turned into 8months. every week they told me it should be next week. i finally got them and they are great but just saying. i think "custom" means "not quickly". z car depot seems reliable when ive dealt with him.

• 2 weeks later...

New and proper stub axles arrived and are sitting on my bench. Just need to find some time to put it all back together.   On a side note, I cut up my back fenders an additional 3/4 inch for better tire diameter clearance when I jump to the 275 45 17.     When I pulled everything apart, I realized I had some tire rub under race conditions with the 255's and the new rubber will be 1/4 taller.   Just figured I would cut and seal them up while I had the extra room.  

DSS provides extra long apr studs with the stub axles.  I got those pressed in today and will get my stub axles mounted with new bearings this week. Thread pitch is different than stock 1.5 vs 1.25 but the studs are required to press in properly...... I had a set of OEM studs but the 300 m allow is so strong  the OEM studs pressed in but just spun in place....... I will have to run different lug nuts front and rear until I upgrade the fronts to match..... very stout product but so far not even close to a "bolt in" solution.   My .02

In the process of changing out my axles and LCA's I realized I was getting some tire rub where I had cut the body for flares...... I'm running 275 45 17 soon in the rear and they are .5 taller so I busted out the cut off wheel and gained an extra 1/2 inch net with taller rubber.  Clearance should not be a problem even when running hard, but I won't know for sure until it's all back together. 

On a side note, Drive shaft shop strikes again with sending me the wrong parts...... There is a steel spacer that sit between the outer bearing and wheel flange to keep the proper spacing of the bearing and stub axle in the upright/housing, AND THEY SENT ME THE WRONG ONE!    They offer no instructions with their kit so I wasn't even aware I needed to use a spacer until I tried to bolt it all together and the wheel was totally bound up when torqued to speck.... I will never work with these guys again.   Jim 

Unbelievably DSS claims they don't make any such spacer (I've sent them photos of everything per their request) even though they sent it to me....... Lee at DSS is really trying hard to fix the multitude of problems so for that I'm thankful.   The problem is this, according to DSS  "someone gave DSS  a 240Z stub axle to work with as a measured template for their upgraded one..... Unfortunately it wasn't a from a 240Z but most likely a 510 and the upgraded stub axle will not work on a 240 now.  DSS has taken all of the measurements necessary off of a legit 240 stub axle and is machining a "special custom" spacer/stand off for the bearing to seat against so the whole assembly can be bolted back together with proper clearance and alignment  for everything involved."

While I am again thankful for Lee, DSS as a company has not done jack squat to compensate me for time wrenching, sourcing and purchasing new hardware, and basically coming up with a fix for their very unusable  yet expensive "all hardware included bolt on product".   

Is it just me or do I have a right to be a little miffed at all this?  

Hopefully I get all of the parts sent soon so I can get car back together and aligned.  Jim 

Thanks Richard.  At this point I'm a beta tester for DSS. got the updated  spacers today and it still doesn't work.  The flange is 3 mm to tall that butts up to the housing and binds when bolted together. I've sent out another email with more pics and I'm waiting for a reply. Sadly I'm too deep into this to turn back so I'm stuck right now. 

Well....... Lee at DSS is coming through for me.  per his request, I'm sending the stub axles back along with my OEM 240Z stub axle.  He wants to make this right, so they are going to custom machine stub axles for me based off of the specs of my OEM's.   As frustrating as this has been, I have to give Lee props for trying to make it right in the end.   Ill post up how this all turns out.  Jim

• 3 weeks later...

It's been over 2 months since I started my axle swap...... DSS has been closed since the Friday before Christmas and according to UPS tracking no one was around to accept my shipment the Wednesday through Friday before they closed.  My parts are sitting in some ups holding bin waiting for DSS to return and hopefully, after 4

trys, get these stub axles right and sent to me so I can put my car back together and aligned.  No doubt I will miss my upcoming race in January based on past experiences and current time lines.    Frustrating to say the least. Jim 

• 2 weeks later...

Well I finally got my parts back today..... I will know this weekend if they actually fit this time. Drive shaft shop said they would pre-assemble everything to minimize my time getting my car back together...... but they didn’t!  They only managed to press in the wheel studs half ass crooked so I have something more to fix aside from pressing on the bearings for a third time. Buyer beware- drive shaft shop is one of the worst experiences I’ve had in a very long time.  Jim