HybridZ

What are you using as a tow vehicle?

fyanrudger

My enclosed trailer is old, heavy, and weighs 6,000# empty.

I can also jack it up on either rear corner and still open the back ramp door.... No twisting!

Towed with a matching Chevy Dually...

Always have people who can push to load. For short stuff, I'll run the F150 and a towbar, or the two-wheeled Demco Dolly I have.

post-380-0-26470700-1431513266_thumb.jpg

post-380-0-07719300-1431513315_thumb.jpg

post-380-0-67127800-1431513363_thumb.jpg

The Intermodal beasts at 48 and 53' High Cube are awesome!

Six cars EASILY, plus spares in a 48! I can't imagine a 53'....

I've got 5 45' HC, one 48' HC, and two 40' standards which now Imregret buying before even knowing about the 45'HC option (every 45'HC I've bought has cost less than the 40' STD's! If I could pawn them in exchange for a pair of 45' HC's or even 40' HC's I'd do it in a second.

That extra foot in the container overhead makes a BIG difference in what you can do easily! Though the Intermodal 48' and 53' are wider than ConEx boxes, can't just wedge an 8' timber into the corrugations to hold it there while you cut your 54" cribbing uprights... Gotta cut a 10' down to that wider custom width.

post-380-0-80854100-1431581019_thumb.jpg

Edited by Tony D
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The problem with towing is that you dont want to drive a heavy pick up based vehicle for daily use.But any vehecle that claims it can tow 5klbs probably wont tow at max capacity for very long with out burning up a transmission or eating brakes.Going anywhere in California requires climbing passes like the grapevine and the temps can be 100f+ while climbing a hill.I have a 1996 ford e150 van.It works real good but its got a 5.8l engine and the same trans ford used in motorhomes.But it eats gas-like 12 mpg loaded.How many track days are you really going to make in 1 year?If you are only going to make 2 or 3 a year it might be better to rent something and leave the ownership headaches to somebody else.And you live in an urban area where space is tight and there is no place to park extra vehicles.I built a set of ramps for a guy that converted an old bread van with a diesel into a small race car hauler.It was a slow pig but got ok mileage.He had the same problem -no parking at home.He kept it at an rv storage.Try to find a light trailer with 4 wheel brakes.Make sure the brakes work.Electric brakes with an adjustable controller work the best.Basically you need a 1/2 ton truck for an open trailer-3/4 ton truck or more for an enclosed trailer.My stepson had a 1/2ton chevy 4x2 with a 5.3 and I really liked that truck.It had good power and would get reasonable milage empty.Toyota Tundras are known to be powerful-but eat gas.I have friends that report 12mpg in town.Post back when you figure out what you end up with.I like my van because I sleep in it-no motel rooms needed.

My dually was sold with the trailer for $3,500 last time the gas prices spiked.... Would not separate.

For that price, it can sit around a bit. What I can haul in the Dually saves trips 2:1 on my 2008 F250, and likely 4:1 on the F150 I have now!

There is a bitchen van conversion owned by PLN now up for sale...fits a Z perfectly... I would love to snag it, for a dedicated Z-Hauler it's perfect.

I was sorry when I sold my Moby Van (1990 Chevy G30) no speed limiter like the E250 that replaced it, and rock solid reliable, towed a Z on a tow bar fast enough...

The problem with towing is that you dont want to drive a heavy pick up based vehicle for daily use.But any vehecle that claims it can tow 5klbs probably wont tow at max capacity for very long with out burning up a transmission or eating brakes.Going anywhere in California requires climbing passes like the grapevine and the temps can be 100f+ while climbing a hill.I have a 1996 ford e150 van.It works real good but its got a 5.8l engine and the same trans ford used in motorhomes.But it eats gas-like 12 mpg loaded.How many track days are you really going to make in 1 year?If you are only going to make 2 or 3 a year it might be better to rent something and leave the ownership headaches to somebody else.And you live in an urban area where space is tight and there is no place to park extra vehicles.I built a set of ramps for a guy that converted an old bread van with a diesel into a small race car hauler.It was a slow pig but got ok mileage.He had the same problem -no parking at home.He kept it at an rv storage.Try to find a light trailer with 4 wheel brakes.Make sure the brakes work.Electric brakes with an adjustable controller work the best.Basically you need a 1/2 ton truck for an open trailer-3/4 ton truck or more for an enclosed trailer.My stepson had a 1/2ton chevy 4x2 with a 5.3 and I really liked that truck.It had good power and would get reasonable milage empty.Toyota Tundras are known to be powerful-but eat gas.I have friends that report 12mpg in town.Post back when you figure out what you end up with.I like my van because I sleep in it-no motel rooms needed.

Thanks for the info. You basically summed up my issue... I like small cars and I have no room for extra vehicles. I do only intend on doing a few (less than 10) track days a year. Still undecided overall, but right now I've been glancing at 2004 Land Rover Discoveries...7k towing capacity, not all that expensive, and somewhat tolerable for a daily. Reliable, though? Eh.

Thanks for the info. You basically summed up my issue... I like small cars and I have no room for extra vehicles. I do only intend on doing a few (less than 10) track days a year. Still undecided overall, but right now I've been glancing at 2004 Land Rover Discoveries...7k towing capacity, not all that expensive, and somewhat tolerable for a daily. Reliable, though? Eh.

What helped me and which should be applicable in any country is to use a online car sales site that has all the relevant specs and then use the search function to narrow down the list of suitable vehicles, as to towing capacity, price and so on. It's not necessary to have a truck just because you want to do some towing a few times a year.

An F150 Superduty crew cab will be cheaper and more reliable. Considerably cheaper on parts.

Yeah dude, I made it pretty clear that I'm not looking for a truck. TBH, all your posts have been pretty off subject.

Edited by fyanrudger

" Still undecided overall, but right now I've been glancing at 2004 Land Rover Discoveries...7k towing capacity, not all that expensive, and somewhat tolerable for a daily."

Oh, excuse me...Land Rover Discoveries were moved from "Truck" category WHEN again?

FYAH...

" Still undecided overall, but right now I've been glancing at 2004 Land Rover Discoveries...7k towing capacity, not all that expensive, and somewhat tolerable for a daily."

Oh, excuse me...Land Rover Discoveries were moved from "Truck" category WHEN again?

FYAH...

Since the term SUV has been around?  

Towed 1042 miles this weekend.  2002 S10 extended cab with cammed LQ4 swap, airconditioning doesn't work, hydraulic clutch pedal failure 20 miles from home, the NV3500 5spd tranny shifts fine without a clutch and I just used the starter motor to get going in 1st gear from a stop.  14.7mpg average for the trip from Alabama to Ohio.  Hoping its the master cylinder and not the slave.

FYAH...

Mature. Posts about 6k pound semi trailers, fitting six cars in shipping containers, duallys, and supercab Fords are the exact opposite of what I was asking about...sorry if my comment got ya.

Like I said before, tons of good info in here. I'll be looking to make a purchase in the next couple months once I finish my car and the busy work season dies down, so I'll update it with what I get. 

There is the possible problem with a LR, reliability. But, yeh, basically a very good allrounder.

There is the possible problem with a LR, reliability. But, yeh, basically a very good allrounder.

This is not a problem it is part of the social network that drivers of British autos become accustom to. Such as the tow truck industry. You get to meet the local British repair person in what ever town you travel to. You know, a lot like some of the European brands although the German are not quite as social.

I have an 07 Toyota Sequoia, which I found to be an excellent tow vehicle when I needed to retrieve my 280z. I left it up in Castaic overnight so I could locate a trailer. 100 miles up with trailer unloaded, 100 miles back loaded; it was a breeze. Rear seats are removable, middle seats fold up, and I have slept in the back pretty comfortably. (Note: Im also 6'3"). Might be a little too large for your space, but its a few feet shorter in length than most pickups, and its dead reliable. But, like the Tundra pickup, it drinks. I get around 13mpg cruising at 70 on the highway...

Older models are definitely in your price range. Hope this helps!

I've always strapped to the tow hooks on the front and the control arm pickup points in the rear, crossing the straps over to the opposite side in both instances. If I'm going to be traveling more than a few miles I'll loop a piece of chain around the front crossmember as a last resort just in case the front straps were to break loose. Maybe not the best possible methods but I've never had any issues.