HybridZ

Recent swap. Lt1 T56. Car wont go into gear! help!

Hello,

I recently completed an lt1 swap into my 240z. I had the complete donor 93 camaro before the swap. So I know it shifted fine before. However after the swap I cannot get the car to go into gear. What am I doing wrong? Autozone slave cylinder, custom stainless steel line, Wilwood 7/8 master cylinder. Everything is new. I Thought I had a faulty master and swapped for another one. No difference. There is no air in the system. I have been bleeding it for days. Basically the car goes into all the gears when the car is off no problem. However, when the car is on it wont go into gear. I even tried to adjust the pedal travel. I adjusted it for maximum throw but it makes a pretty bad noise when the clutch is pushed all the way down. I have since backed it out a little and it doesn't make the noise. I think something might be going on with the clutch fork. When I take out the slave cylinder and push on the fork it doesnt seem to move. But Im able to move the fork around rather sloppily side to side. Is it suppose to be like that? Any ideas on what I did wrong? Any help is appreciated. Thanks! 

If it will shift when off but wont when running it simply isnt disengaging. You may have a bad stack-up of clutch parts (flywheel, disc, pressure plate, throw-out, clutch fork, pivot). Consider cutting a visibility window in the bottom of the bellhousing so you can see what is going on in there. Most likely problem is still air in hydraulics but it could certainly be something else. If not air, then a parts in incompatability of some kind. Maybe you will get lucky and the pivot just needs adjusting. What size is the master cylinder?

Lt1s take a specific lt1 clutch. The slave cylinder etc operates differently. It is a pull style clutch vs a push style clutch. Google lt1 pull clutch. It's been a year and a half since I did the clutch on my 93 Callaway lt1. Standard clutch stuff doesnt work with an lt1 setup.

If it will shift when off but wont when running it simply isnt disengaging. You may have a bad stack-up of clutch parts (flywheel, disc, pressure plate, throw-out, clutch fork, pivot). Consider cutting a visibility window in the bottom of the bellhousing so you can see what is going on in there. Most likely problem is still air in hydraulics but it could certainly be something else. If not air, then a parts in incompatability of some kind. Maybe you will get lucky and the pivot just needs adjusting. What size is the master cylinder?

Clutch was never removed during the swap process. I bleed the clutch by pushing the rod in the slave cylinder, then bleeding the master up top.  I even tried the conventional pump method. No more air is coming out. What is the preffered way to check for air? Pretty sure there is no air but I could be wrong. 

Lt1s take a specific lt1 clutch. The slave cylinder etc operates differently. It is a pull style clutch vs a push style clutch. Google lt1 pull clutch. It's been a year and a half since I did the clutch on my 93 Callaway lt1. Standard clutch stuff doesnt work with an lt1 setup.

Mine is the push type. I just went and got a slave from autozone that was specific to the 93 lt1 camaro donor car. The fork seems to just "bottom out" though. Isnt it suppose to have a "spring" feel to it? Could be something with the throwout bearing then?

I adjusted it for maximum throw but it makes a pretty bad noise when the clutch is pushed all the way down. I have since backed it out a little and it doesn't make the noise

This implies that movement can be caused from the outside - pedals, cylinders, and linkage - but something's wrong inside.  Assuming the "bad noise" is coming from inside the bell housing, there's not much you can fix from outside.  You've already defined the range of movement as from "nothing happens" to "bad noise".  If there's not a happy spot in between those two, you're kind of screwed.

Just remembered something that I did myself on my first ever clutch for a small block chevy.  1979.  I put the disc in backward.  The disc springs rubbed on the flywheel bolts when the clutch was disengaged.  Bad noise was produced.

• 2 months later...