HybridZ

'75 280Z LQ9 T56, Built to Break

A few years ago I tried an LT1/4L60E project into a '76 280Z. Just as I finished I moved out to California and the car could not come. I eventually sold it off to a friend of mine. I learned a lot from that one though and have had the itch since, especially since it was running. Last year about this time I found a beautiful '75 280Z and grabbed it. I knew i would be putting an LS engine in it but wanted to drive it a bit before doing that. It has been sitting for quite a few years so I tried to freshen up the car some and drive until I gathered up all the parts fro the conversion. After getting into it I found that the engine was shot. So I just pulled it out and she has sat since then. 

Well now is the time for that swap. A few days ago Shawn at LSX4U.com hooked me up with a 2003 LQ9. I bought a complete swap LS T56 from ebay, and just ordered the full kit from JCI. By the end of the month I should have all those pieces delivered and will be working as fast as I can to get this project moving. I am sort of working against the clock again since I will be moving back to Cali fairly soon as well and would like it finished before then. 

The sbc install from JTR was pretty simple and straight forward, I do not have the book from them for this one yet but am hoping it will be equally seamless. But I do have some questions from everyone if you don't mind answering. I am getting the stand alone LQ9 package from LSX4U which I am sure is easy since the prep the wiring harness, and I also will recieve the trans from this link below. I believe I will be using SpeedHut and Autometer guages. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/98-02-Camaro-Firebird-LS1-Tremec-T56-6-Speed-Manual-Conversion-Kit-Complete-Used-/311353292799?ssPageName=ADME:L:PMR:US:1123

One big question I have is that I chose to go fly by wire on this install. I know that it is more work but from what I understand of LS type engines it is preferred. Maybe not preferred from people using and installing them but for intricate ECU things. Now I am really wondering if it is really worth it to go that route or just go the easy cable route? Also my question from anyone that went JCI, is there a little trick here or there I should know or maybe is there anything glaring at you that I am forgetting to get? I will be keeping this thread updated with pics and parts bought.  Thanks everyone.

post-9971-0-26543200-1431097786_thumb.jpg

post-9971-0-96705000-1431097796_thumb.jpg

post-9971-0-76386800-1431097806_thumb.jpg

post-9971-0-12228600-1431097817_thumb.jpg

post-9971-0-16550700-1431097829_thumb.jpg

post-9971-0-26793200-1431097843_thumb.jpg

post-9971-0-85357500-1431097867_thumb.jpg

You might want to post that question in the Gen III/IV section, most of us tend to hang out there.

My guess is there may be issues with the DBW setup due to the lack of traction control sensors but I'm sure someone has figured that out somewhere. It may just be cost vs benefits too?

• 4 weeks later...

Well, a quick update. Since I have been working every day of the week and suddenly lost my work space, I have decided to take the car to a local Performance shop. While I was there i got HP envy and decided to go big. The shop will be putting on a turbo as well on my LQ9.