HybridZ

240z L28ET swap transmission and differential question

Shanks

Hello everyone,

Long time reader first time poster.  Just double checking with everyone here because I pulled my l28et out of an '83 280zx 2+2 that I found in a junk yard for $800 and was approached by someone who was willing to trade me what was left of the car for a close ratio transmission and rear diff.  The car itself was in terrible, terrible shape so I agreed and he showed up later that week with a truck to tow it away.  He gave me the parts he promised and towed the really junky 280 for free so I thought it was fair enough.

Fast forward two or three weeks, now that the engine is in good shape and ready to go in my 240z, I have just now noticed that the rear diff isn't functioning as it should and the transmission isn't looking any better, I also am just now realizing that the parts he gave me are the same ones that would have come off the 83 280zx anyway.....

At least according to this link: http://www.zhome.com/ZCMnL/tech/GearRatios.html

So my question for you guys is, is it not true that the ideal ratios I would have been looking for in the first place were already on the 83 280zx 2+2 I purchased and I am a dumb ass for giving them all away for broken parts?

62f5accd-3aac-e8ee.jpg

So my question for you guys is, is it not true that the ideal ratios I would have been looking for in the first place were already on the 83 280zx 2+2 I purchased and I am a dumb ass for giving them all away for broken parts?

Your first question is really - "are the transmission and diff ratios of a 1983 280ZX 2+2 suitable for an L28ET in whatever car you're planning to install them in?"  Maybe.  There's more to the calculation.  They don't seem to be what the typical turbo ZX had though, if that's what you meant.  In other words,what you traded ws not the same as what you received.  The transmission in the ZXT was probably the Borg Warner "T5" which takes work to install in a Z.  Which is probably what you have.

If you gave good parts away,any good parts, for broken parts, that's dumb.  Are you sure they're broken?

post-8864-0-88291600-1431141350_thumb.png

The problem with the r200 is that one of the CV axles doesn't fit, which may be because it is the long CV axle not fitting into the short side of the differential but because of the way this guy swindled me (and dropped off contact) I don't trust the parts he gave me either.  I have tried switching the axles but the other side seems to be jammed.

Your question is a good one so I will lay out my planned build for you briefly. My build will be a non-stroked l28et with forged pistons matched with a hybrid t3/t4 turbo, intercooled into a late model 1971 240z all run on megasquirt II.  I haven't purchased the stand alone, turbo, or the intercooling yet but I did just get the rebuilt block and head back from the shop and now I am taking a closer look at my transmission options before I get ahead of myself.  

To my understanding, it would be better to have higher gear ratios for my set up because the l28et with the larger turbo will need more time to spool, which is why I was interested in the 77-79 five speed but really could have used the t5 that came in the 2+2, along with the rear diff to save myself some money, and then scrapped the rest of the car and gotten say $500 back which would have almost paid for my turbo.

Also, I think the only thing the Borg Warner t5 needs to fit into a 240z is a few inches cut out of the console, which is something I would have no problem with.

Thanks for your time I really appreciate it!  What transmission and diff combination would you suggest for my set up? The car may see some track time but I am mostly planning on having and well built 240z that can go.

Edited by Shanks

Sounds like you're not sure.  Could just be a jammed circlip.  Look in to the hole.  Take the cover off and inspect.  Post pictures.  We like pictures.

You might be jumping the gun on a "swindle".  If he knows the cars and you've left nasty misinformed messages he might be avoiding you for good reason.  It's difficult to converse with people who don't really know what they're talking about, especially angry ones.  Confirm damaged goods first.

The T5 needs more than just a console trim. 

If the equipment is indeed in usable condition than I feel better about it. I will have to make sure about that later though. And you are right about the T5 there is more fabrication that is needed.

For now, I am second guessing the gears for my engine set up, so lets forget about the guy and focus on transmissions and diffs. I see lots of people who are doing l28et swaps into the 240z go with a 77-79 3.321 (first gear) transmission and pair it with a r200 3.9 for the quickest acceleration, but I have read that with anything larger than a stock turbo the gears are so quick that it is better to go with a taller gear ratio to give your turbo time to catch up.  My question is, is the 81-83 NA transmission with the 3.062 first gear going to be overkill? Or should I keep the 77-79 transmission and go with a R200 3.545?

Links to other set ups that I haven't found would be great I just haven't had any luck finding them.

• 1 year later...