HybridZ

Where does the Lower Door Window Bumper mount inside the door?

Bob_D

Greetings, I opened up my doors to try and address the window rattles and found the "Lower Door Window Bumper" (http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/PROD/30-2357) just laying loose at the bottom of both doors. I can't figure out where it is supposed to be attached. The factory service manual does not even mention this piece, much less show it. The one place that looked like it would be a logical fit was a metal pedestal of sorts near the rear of the door, that has a hole in the top that looks just about right for the clip, but when I tried it there and rolled the window down it wasn't even close to aligning with the "channel" that's in the bumper. Unless the channel isn't for nesting with the window? Is the bumper supposed to be aligned "side to side" instead of "front to back" (which was my assumption)? Any help is much appreciated, and pictures are worth a thousand words! Thanks in advance. 1973 240Z, build date 9/1973.

The bumper is a V shaped valley rubber piece, so the valley is aligned front to back. It gets a clip like the ones that hold the door panels on, press it into the U shape of the clip from the front or back, and that clip then snaps into the pedestal you mention.  if the pad appears to not be centered well, try putting the clip on from the other side of the bumper.

Edited by z240

Hi z240, thanks for the reply. I tried mounting it like you suggested, but the window comes down next to it, not in the channel. The window rolls up just fine and seats into the frame perfectly, so I'm reluctant to mess with realigning the regulator to make it fit a fore-aft configuration with the bumper. In looking at the wear marks in the top of the bumper, it looks like it actually was in there as a side-to-side mounted part. I'm attaching pictures with some writing on them to show you what I mean. Does your Z have it's bumper mounted as you describe, with the window rolling up and down just fine? If so, I'll endeavor to re-align my track and mount the bumper fore-aft, otherwise I think I'll just mount this thing side-to-side and call it good.

post-27059-0-84648800-1431393634_thumb.jpgpost-27059-0-94571700-1431393650_thumb.jpgpost-27059-0-77373400-1431393660_thumb.jpgpost-27059-0-61095800-1431393674_thumb.jpgpost-27059-0-62457800-1431393685_thumb.jpg

Yes, mine is correctly oriented. Your 73 is nearly identical in build date to mine. You have some trouble with your window track alignment. Have you ever replaced any of your regulator or window guide tracks? 260/280 stuff is sublety different. I didn't think there is enough alignment room to make that much difference. wierd....

I am the 4th owner, but the previous 2 were family members, and none of us have worked on the door or window (the car has been in the family since 1984). The first owner opened up the door to install some speakers, but other than that I don't think he messed with anything else. I did find a lock washer at the bottom of the door, so I will double-check everything (the window frame seems real solid though, so perhaps that washer was an "oops" from the factory). 

I'd use it where it makes sense.  There's no documentation that shows the groove is meant to hold the window edge (no offense to z240 but proper orientation seems to be a guess).  Plus you get a softer landing if it lands on the edges.  The sideways mount even looks like it fits the pedestal better.

I have a piece of rubber hose mounted sideways on my 280Z.  The window doesn't land in the center for it either.  If I had the stock piece i'd mount it sideways also.  It works.

FWIW, I ended up mounting it sideways, and when the window is rolled all the way down the top of the glass is flush with the top of the outside rubber and inside "fuzzy" at the top of the door panel, so in my case I think side to side was the way to go.