HybridZ

Early or Late 260z

nitekillerz

I recently bought my first z. I was wondering if this was an early or late 260z as I don't have plate on my door. I have the serial number. Previous other said it has a Porsche bumper so I also can't tell. Only reason I care is that late 260z had higher compression and r200(is that right?)

post-49567-0-61889100-1431214125_thumb.jpg

post-49567-0-73820000-1431214187_thumb.jpg

And I thought early 260z had turn signals that were on grill and quarter panels?

Early 260Zs look more like 240Zs and late 260Zs are basically 280Zs with an L26 and carbs. An early 260Z would have the turn signals mounted below the corner of the bumper, and a late 260Z would have them above the bumper in the grill.

It looks like yours has the small bumpers, but if you're unsure, just look where the back bumper is for the bumper indents that the 240Z has. Bumper indents = early, no bumper indents = late.

Edited by rturbo 930

Congratulations on your first Z.

What month was it produced?  The spec plate on the inside of the door jam will provide that info.  Yours does appear to be an early 260, just based on the turn signal arrangement, like rturbo said.

Many, if not all, late '74 260s came with an R180 (including mine, which was produced Sep 1974).  I'm pretty sure that even early 280s often came with an R180, so I would not assume that you have an R200 just based on the production date.