HybridZ

275's in 240Z Factory Well - Mission Accomplished

8 minutes ago, boosted300 said:

Lol, I wish I could do a "rudimentary" drawing like that!

Yes I believe that you and, originally EF Ian, are correct...I completely forgot about the fact that centerline moved and failed to account for that. 

Thanks for Illustrating it for me.  

Now, (let's see if I get this part right!) adding the 10mm spacer then actually nets  a +7?

Bingo, you win the prize! I’d love to see you car

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Offset can be confusing.

How are you finding the setup? Must have plenty grip now surely. I am still confused how my S30 puts the power down so well using only 225 semi slicks, makes me scared to change anything on the rear encase I ruin it, never seen a Z with the traction I have, all you see in videos on Z's with similar or less power than mine is a lot of wheelspin but I've never had much issue after 1st. Although I actually think I can put this down to my setup with twin turbos, the power comes in much more linear compared to a single.

What top speed have you had them at? I am going to do the odd airstrip 1 mile event and I would worry are welded wheels as strong? Don't want anything going wrong at 170mph+

Sill finding wheel choice hard, I want to run Watanabes but not sure they will fit right as at the front 16x8 ET0 will fit ok, will be slightly farther out than ideal but doable, problem is I then have to run a spacer to clear my brakes which make them stick out a bit much. Also fancy a drag/track rear setup I can change to, think I can run the non r type wats in 16x8.5 ET15 with 245/45's but not 100% until I try it and with them costing around $700 a wheel its a lot of money if they don't work. A custom wheel is the best option, but I can never decide on a wheel I like more than the Watanabe style wheels

Edited by EF Ian

4 hours ago, EF Ian said:

Offset can be confusing.

How are you finding the setup? Must have plenty grip now surely. I am still confused how my S30 puts the power down so well using only 225 semi slicks, makes me scared to change anything on the rear encase I ruin it, never seen a Z with the traction I have, all you see in videos on Z's with similar or less power than mine is a lot of wheelspin but I've never had much issue after 1st. Although I actually think I can put this down to my setup with twin turbos, the power comes in much more linear compared to a single.

What top speed have you had them at? I am going to do the odd airstrip 1 mile event and I would worry are welded wheels as strong? Don't want anything going wrong at 170mph+

Sill finding wheel choice hard, I want to run Watanabes but not sure they will fit right as at the front 16x8 ET0 will fit ok, will be slightly farther out than ideal but doable, problem is I then have to run a spacer to clear my brakes which make them stick out a bit much. Also fancy a drag/track rear setup I can change to, think I can run the non r type wats in 16x8.5 ET15 with 245/45's but not 100% until I try it and with them costing around $700 a wheel its a lot of money if they don't work. A custom wheel is the best option, but I can never decide on a wheel I like more than the Watanabe style wheels

The setup is great, I finally have some traction although the first punch the tires will still spin while the car is rolling in second gear at about 40mph...but after a few punches they warm up and grip nicely.  Before this modification, it was like driving on ice.  

As far as top speed, I really haven't gone more than about 120mph. 

If you are planning to hit 170mph+, ultimately it will all depend on the quality of your wheel to begin with...basically a GIGO type of thing.  Weldcraft modifies wheels for all sorts of cars including drag cars so the modification itself doesn't worry me.  If you are starting with a high quality wheel that is fully capable of 170mph+, then it should be fine for the same after the mod.  I would call them and just inquire.  

Personally I agree with you, nothing looks better on these cars than Watanabe style wheels.  I went with Rotas mainly because they were more cost effective at the time for the modification I wanted to try.  A failed experiment with a wheel that costs $175.00 doesn't hurt as much as a wheel that costs $700.00!  Now that I have the setup that I want and I know it works, I can try other options with confidence.  I would loooooooove to get some Watanabes, but I don't think they are available in an offset that I can make work unfortunately.  

Great to hear its working well. If you are running semi slicks there is a massive difference between a warm and cold set, I don''t use high boost until few low boost pulls to get the tyres warm first.

Nothing wrong with Rotas, as much as I would like to switch to Watanabes their sizing in the R type isnt ideal the the F8 Type doesn't look as nice imo as my Rotas currently do so I'm not set on it yet. Most people I see running R type wats on stock fenders are using narrower tyres to avoid rubbing but this would't be an option at my power level, plus I even would have to run a 5mm spacer on the front in order to clear my brakes.

Problem staying 16" the wheel is closer to the strut and I only have one tyre option at 245 with that being Pirelli P Zero Trofeo Rs.

There are no Watanabes that would fit yours, unless you went 16", but with doing so you won't be able to run as wide due to the wheel being an inch closer to the strut.

Hello Boosted300,

Is it possible to take measurements backed by pictures of the inside if your rim the next time you take your wheels off, then post it.  Not that I don't trust the calculations, it's just seams easier and final.  I think the +17 mm is accurate.

2nd, Does anyone have access to a vendor that would be interested in making wheels with this offset for a group buy, with a matching pair for the front?

I would be very interested in a set 17" or 16".    First choice would be Volk Racing TE37VE , 2nd ROTA.

thx

Edited by Kbhead

7 minutes ago, Kbhead said:

Hello Boosted300,

Is it possible to take measurements backed by pictures of the inside if your rim the next time you take your wheels off, then post it.  Not that I don't trust the calculations, it's just seams easier and final.  I think the +17 mm is accurate.

2nd, Does anyone have access to a vendor that would be interested in making wheels with this offset for a group buy, with a matching pair for the front?

I would be very interested in a set 17" or 16".    First choice would be Volk Racing TE37VE , 2nd ROTA.

thx

I like the group buy idea, problem is, I have tried to communicate directly with Rota but if I remember correctly they are in the Philippines and were not very communicative.  Maybe Volk Racing might be better?

1 minute ago, Kbhead said:

Hello Boosted300,

I would be very interested in a set.  Love the Rota's or  Volk Racing TE37VE.

thx

Sure thing brother I will try to do it sometime this week if possible.

Regarding the group buy, I think it's important to remember my suspension setup.  This offset might be unique to an AZC suspension, or at least a suspension that is adjustable horizontally, ie adjustable all the way inward.  

The other thing to consider is the lug pattern....Volks are awesome (I like the CE28's and also the TE37's)...however anything other than the two wheels you listed would require a conversion to 5 lug.

4 minutes ago, Jethoncho said:

I like the group buy idea, problem is, I have tried to communicate directly with Rota but if I remember correctly they are in the Philippines and were not very communicative.  Maybe Volk Racing might be better?

Yeah, group buy is a great idea...why don't you spearhead the Volk negotiation?  If you send them one of your rudimentary drawings they might be so impressed that they'll do it!

1 hour ago, boosted300 said:

Regarding the group buy, I think it's important to remember my suspension setup.  This offset might be unique to an AZC suspension, or at least a suspension that is adjustable horizontally, ie adjustable all the way inward.  

The other thing to consider is the lug pattern....Volks are awesome (I like the CE28's and also the TE37's)...however anything other than the two wheels you listed would require a conversion to 5 lug.

I am already converted to 5-lug.

36 minutes ago, Jethoncho said:

I am already converted to 5-lug.

I'm torn on this...obviously going to 5 lug gives you exponentially more wheel options...but I really love the look of  the Watanabe/Rota/Pana style wheel.

Ideally, I'd love some Watanabe 5 lug 17" wheel in the offsets I need, that way I could try other looks and if I didn't like them I could always go back to the Watanabes.  

Ultimately though 5 lug is the way to go.

1 minute ago, boosted300 said:

I'm torn on this...obviously going to 5 lug gives you exponentially more wheel options...but I really love the look of  the Watanabe/Rota/Pana style wheel.

Ideally, I'd love some Watanabe 5 lug 17" wheel in the offsets I need, that way I could try other looks and if I didn't like them I could always go back to the Watanabes.  

Ultimately though 5 lug is the way to go.

I’d be happy to step up for 17” Watanabes in the needed offset, problem is, I don’t think they exist.

1 hour ago, Jethoncho said:

I’d be happy to step up for 17” Watanabes in the needed offset, problem is, I don’t think they exist.

Watanabe now offers a two piece 17" wheel (RS8) in both 4 and 5 lug options, but in different offsets. There are a few companies, (http://love20bee.com/), (http://wheelflip.com/) that are re- barreling these to fit whatever your needs are. Tire options and a classic banana spoke style are now an option.....

6 hours ago, Nelsonian said:

Watanabe now offers a two piece 17" wheel (RS8) in both 4 and 5 lug options, but in different offsets. There are a few companies, (http://love20bee.com/), (http://wheelflip.com/) that are re- barreling these to fit whatever your needs are. Tire options and a classic banana spoke style are now an option.....

Great info, thanks!

18 hours ago, boosted300 said:

Good point, I forgot about that.  Thinking more about this and reading the comments maybe the best idea would be to start another thread (do not want to take away from this thread) and get a  list of Wheel manufactures that make custom wheels (offsets, sizes and lug combinations).   Thanks to Nelsonian for listing a few:

Boosted300, Great thread.  What size wheels and tires do you have on the front?  (sorry if you have already mentioned it, I can seem to find it when looking back).

17 minutes ago, Kbhead said:

Good point, I forgot about that.  Thinking more about this and reading the comments maybe the best idea would be to start another thread (do not want to take away from this thread) and get a  list of Wheel manufactures that make custom wheels (offsets, sizes and lug combinations).   Thanks to Nelsonian for listing a few:

Boosted300, Great thread.  What size wheels and tires do you have on the front?  (sorry if you have already mentioned it, I can seem to find it when looking back).

No problem, the fronts are 17x8.5 +4 with soft compound 235/45/17 Yokohama Advan A08's

5 hours ago, Kbhead said:

Good point, I forgot about that.  Thinking more about this and reading the comments maybe the best idea would be to start another thread (do not want to take away from this thread) and get a  list of Wheel manufactures that make custom wheels (offsets, sizes and lug combinations).

If you want to start another thread I could contribute several wheel options from my own research into available wheels.