HybridZ

2jz vvti with a cd009 (350z tranny)?

the_lettuce

Hey hybridz, hopefully this is the right place to post it.

I spent quiet a while(2 months and going) looking for an r154 after mine broke, but no luck, so I read people started doing the cd009 swap, and I have searched online for this topic but I couldn't understand much it, it wasn't as clear as I thought it would be.

I know Collins sell an adapter kit, but I also read that it needs to be cut to fit, but do I need more than just an adapter?

I really want something as close as a bolt on as an r154 and as for power I'm willing to hit the 500-550whp this winter, any help would be appreciated.

The tranny would go on a 83' 280zx.

Thanks

Looking into the cost of a new trans and adapter, wouldn't it be the same to just rebuild the r154?

I thought of that, but several mechanics said they wont do that, and I don't really have the time, tools or even the experience to do it. The shop that fit my engine and tranny told me its best I get another r154 but the price has gone severely up not to mention I couldn't find any r154's, hence why I thought of going with a cd009.

Edited by the_lettuce

So there are now a few ways to do this now. Collins offers two different kits, one of which doesn't require machining the bellhousing. There is also a kit offered by maverick motorsports that requires machining 3/8 of an inch from the bellhousing. Both Collins and maverick offer conversion flywheels that let you run a 350z clutch.

Personally I'd go with the maverick setup and machine the housing. It's what I'm using on my 1JZ

So I went with collins and so did my friend with a 500+ 2jz in his s30. His version of collins he milled 3/8 off his bellhousing, the version I got was newer and supposedly dont have to mill it down. 

You have to cut the shifter linkage https://sites.google.com/a/vq240z.com/www/shifterrelocation I brought his mount and its super light and easy to install. Then brought a nismo short shifter. Thats all the easy stuff. Collins also offers a high HP clutch kit. 

Overall the kit is VERY expensive 2k BUT the trans is SO easy to find and cheap its not funny. I picked up my CD009 for $600 with 100k miles. a used r154 is at minimum 800$ IF you find one. They shift like trucks, the nissan trans is smooth like butter!

Handles power very well and being newer you can buy a brand new tranny from nissan or z1motorsports for 1700 plus shipping!

My friend has daily driven his 2jz with cd009 240z for over a year and has had 0 issues with tranny.

I havent even started my swap, ive been collect parts but I like the quality of the kit collins produces and austin hoke.

So there are now a few ways to do this now. Collins offers two different kits, one of which doesn't require machining the bellhousing. There is also a kit offered by maverick motorsports that requires machining 3/8 of an inch from the bellhousing. Both Collins and maverick offer conversion flywheels that let you run a 350z clutch.

Personally I'd go with the maverick setup and machine the housing. It's what I'm using on my 1JZ

Oh cool, didn't know another company made an adapter kit, thanks for mentioning that, I'll compare both Maverick and Collins and later on see wether I'm more comfortable with machining the housing or not.

So I went with collins and so did my friend with a 500+ 2jz in his s30. His version of collins he milled 3/8 off his bellhousing, the version I got was newer and supposedly dont have to mill it down. 

You have to cut the shifter linkage https://sites.google.com/a/vq240z.com/www/shifterrelocation I brought his mount and its super light and easy to install. Then brought a nismo short shifter. Thats all the easy stuff. Collins also offers a high HP clutch kit. 

Overall the kit is VERY expensive 2k BUT the trans is SO easy to find and cheap its not funny. I picked up my CD009 for $600 with 100k miles. a used r154 is at minimum 800$ IF you find one. They shift like trucks, the nissan trans is smooth like butter!

Handles power very well and being newer you can buy a brand new tranny from nissan or z1motorsports for 1700 plus shipping!

My friend has daily driven his 2jz with cd009 240z for over a year and has had 0 issues with tranny.

I havent even started my swap, ive been collect parts but I like the quality of the kit collins produces and austin hoke.

Thanks for clearing things up, I really didn't know about the shifter linkage relocation, not sure if I should actually order that, since you're talking about an S30 and mines an S130, I remember both cars have different dimensions.

I'm kind of concerned about the drive shaft though, but hopefully i'd find a shop that would make a custom one, the nismo short shifter looks cool xD.

R154's are selling for $1200+ here, hopefully scrap shops don't know much about the cd009 and I can get them for cheap.

No one cares about the 350 so parts are cheap. Its a cheap car to begin with. Mavericks and collins are legit the same thing. Maves just gives you the option of getting your own 350z clutch which is a hassle because you will spend more than if you went with collins kit. I looked at both and theyre both the same. Now collins just updated his so you dont have to shave the bell housing. That right there is the reason I ordered his. He uses his "own" clutch and flywheel but its just from another car model that he does not want to tell people about which is understandable. Nothing a clutch shop cant fix for you anyway. 

The s130 might be longer so you night not even have to cut it which would be awesome. I know between 350 and s30 it was like a 4-5in difference and when you cut it it lowers it to just 1ish inch which is still comfortable compared to stock.

No one cares about the 350 so parts are cheap. Its a cheap car to begin with. Mavericks and collins are legit the same thing. Maves just gives you the option of getting your own 350z clutch which is a hassle because you will spend more than if you went with collins kit. I looked at both and theyre both the same. Now collins just updated his so you dont have to shave the bell housing. That right there is the reason I ordered his. He uses his "own" clutch and flywheel but its just from another car model that he does not want to tell people about which is understandable. Nothing a clutch shop cant fix for you anyway.

The s130 might be longer so you night not even have to cut it which would be awesome. I know between 350 and s30 it was like a 4-5in difference and when you cut it it lowers it to just 1ish inch which is still comfortable compared to stock.

This is situational, I wanted the option for a twin plate clutch, which from Collins requires using an auto flex plate and an adapter. The custom flywheels are likely just a dual mass flywheel drilled to accept the 1JZ bolt pattern crank and accept a 350z clutch and pressure plate.

SPEC actually makes a twin plate clutch specifically for someone running a CD00X gearbox on a JZ engine. I'll post up the model of the clutch when I get home.

Yeah from the looks of it, I'll probably go the collins route, thanks for being very informative I appreciate it.

Those are good options, the prices turned me off to be honest. I decided that if I stick with the 2jz swap I will go with the ar5, which is another option if you don't mind a 5 speed.

I couldn't find an ar5 here, but I guess i'll just try the cd009, thank you for your input.

This is situational, I wanted the option for a twin plate clutch, which from Collins requires using an auto flex plate and an adapter. The custom flywheels are likely just a dual mass flywheel drilled to accept the 1JZ bolt pattern crank and accept a 350z clutch and pressure plate.

SPEC actually makes a twin plate clutch specifically for someone running a CD00X gearbox on a JZ engine. I'll post up the model of the clutch when I get home.

I don't think i'd ever go twin plate tbh, knowing I wont even go over 450hp, but I did find the SPEC clutch you were talking about, they make it for the Mavrick kit. Thank you.

Hmmm. Well I have a 2jzgtevvti with a z32\rb25 trans. Im using collins adapter kit, very good kit and it's pre set for a cd009 trans. It has the bolt pattern ready for it.

rb25 tranny costs the same as an r154 here.. <_<  and well cd009 seems more money efficient for me, thank you.