HybridZ

sporadic heater/defrost switch- help

Hey Everyone,

My heater blower/defrost switch is working sporadically, and with no rhyme or reason that I can tell. They will work and I can have the car parked, turn it off then immediately on again and then they won't work.

Only thought I have is they aren't getting enough power. I think this cuz I've seen the defrost switch light almost go out, but a quick rev brings it back up again.

Maybe change the a alternator?

Any thoughts?

Thanks 71, 240z

Edited by trevormares

Are you talking about your fan control switch, or the air directional control slide control?  One's electrical; the other's mechanical.

Check your alternator by taking some basic voltage readings at your battery....vehicle off, vehicle running at idle, vehicle running at higher than idle.  Minimum you should see 13-14.5 volts at the battery when running with good alternator and battery.  Often times the alternator will be fine, but the belt will be loose, resulting in lower than normal alt output.

If you don't have FSM for your vehicle, you can download it free here:  http://www.xenons30.com/

Hope this helps.