HybridZ

ZG Flare Options

Phantom

I've read about ZG flares in many threads but, at this point, I'm trying to figure out whose to use.  I'm planning on running 275/40-17 tires on 9 1/2" rims with -19mm backspacing on all 4 corners and I'm not certain how far they will actually stick out of the standard body.  I know the flares from MSA are about 2-2.5" wide while the JPN Garage has a wide ZG option that is 3.25" in the front and 3.75" in the rear.  Obviously they need to be wide enough to clear the tires but not so wide it looks like the tires are inset.

Those of you that have done this - what do you recommend?  Any fitment issues you encountered?  I have TTT coilovers all around so there is a little extra room on the inboard side.

Edited by Phantom

I don't think you would run into any clearance issues with jpn garages wide flares. I am running with with a set of Work 17x9s with a -50 offset but I'm running into some clearance issues due to the offset. I will say this much though. the fender flares aren't of the best quality. Mine have a lot of little imperfections. 

YCMOVfwl.jpg

I haven't seen many good american-made fiberglass products that are perfect fitting. I sold a set of jdmflares.com flares, didn't like the quality. Copy of a copy of a copy gets lost in fitment issues. I highly recommened the marugen shoukai flares through rhdjapan. They aren't super wide, but they are accurate to original ZG flares and the  fitment can't be beat.

11351036_668028349968356_71824625_n.jpg

Alot of the stateside flares loose the "flange lip" area as scene in my picture, generally requiring people to run fender welting to fill it in.. Sure its just a small detail, but i think small details go a long way in overall appearance of the car.

Edited by Hypertek

I sure wish the manufacturers would go ahead and drill the damn things. Passing the liability of cracking them off onto the customer is crap. Kinda like me charging a patient for eye surgery, then handing them the knife and saying "ok, I got your money, now do the surgery yourself-ttyl-tata!"

I sure wish the manufacturers would go ahead and drill the damn things. Passing the liability of cracking them off onto the customer is crap. Kinda like me charging a patient for eye surgery, then handing them the knife and saying "ok, I got your money, now do the surgery yourself-ttyl-tata!"

Marugen Shoukai has three tiers of ZG flares, rough cut, trimmed, and the top tier has them predrilled. They're 100% from Japan, so english isn't their thing. I used RHDjapan(dot)com to import a set for me. 

They even make a very nice set of fiberglass doors: http://www.rhdjapan.com/marugen-shoukai-door-set-nissan-fairlady-z-s30-s31.html