HybridZ

top end friction reduction ideas.

Been doing my usual research and figured I'd try digging back in to seeing if anyone nowadays has made or built anything new for our motors that frees up power in the top end. Tried going back after roller cam and rocker setups but that was a dead end. Heard Tony d mention a devas system if I remember correctly? Couldn't find any more info on that..I'm wanting to see if anyone knows any new info since last time I tried it all ended in dead ends. Or people throwing a fit over why any of us stick with the inline 6 and not upgrade..I like the engine they came with and it's what I feel like building on with what I have. Just like to know more cool stuff for these. Thanks all!

Beehive single valve springs.

I've been thinking of doing this for some time, but I've not been able to find a set that seems appropriate for the L-series heads, especially if you need to accommodate significant lift.  The ones that I keep finding are either too large/small IDs or too long (coil bind doesn't allow high lifts with the installed heights I'd need), and often way too stiff.  Have you found a combo that works with, say, .540 lift?

Jim Thimpson at Sunbelt/Kinetic developed a set for my race engine back in 2001. He sold them as part of a kit with a cam and retainers he had also developed for my engine.

The springs had an installed seat pressure 25 lbs less then stock and were good to 9,000 rpm. The cam and springs are NLA but he did sell about a dozen kits.

Yesterday I received this e-mail response from Wes at wes@wesengines.com.au

sorry for the slow reply i was busy with the winter nationals last week. I do make the rockers for the L series. I am currently out of stock and would need to get some up to date pricing on the parts required.
Would need to know 4 or 6 cyl, application and cam profile that you were wanting to run.
thanks Wes

Yesterday I received this e-mail response from Wes at wes@wesengines.com.au

sorry for the slow reply i was busy with the winter nationals last week. I do make the rockers for the L series. I am currently out of stock and would need to get some up to date pricing on the parts required.

Would need to know 4 or 6 cyl, application and cam profile that you were wanting to run.

thanks Wes

I am assuming these are going to be way out of my budget, but please do post up when you hear back. VERY curious how much a set would cost and how well it has been tested.

I find it both shocking and worrisome something so awesome hasn't been blowing up the forums...

Maybe the benefits are not so shocking and awesome?

Are to reply to TimZ, the Sunbelt can had a ,564 lift on the intake side. I don't know anything about the spring specifications but you might want to look at BMW applications. Might also want to check with Piper cams in the UK.

Personally I think this works rather well...

rollerrocker_zpseevvcuws.jpg

I know what it cost me to build similar units, and I've also inqured as to what it will cost me to buy them ready-made...it was cost-prohibitive to make the prototype for myself.

Edited by Xnke

Don't roller rocker arms use a different cam profile formula?  Since the contact point between cam and roller moves up and down as well as back and forth.  So you need a cam grinder that does roller cams also.  Maybe it's common and there's a simple conversion formula.

Personally I think this works rather well...

rollerrocker_zpseevvcuws.jpg

I know what it cost me to build similar units, and I've also inqured as to what it will cost me to buy them ready-made...it was cost-prohibitive to make the prototype for myself.

That is some very nice work there.

I am a bit curious though, as to the weight of these compared to the stock rockers, especially the weight at the moving end of the rockers.  If they are appreciably heavier than the stock piece you would still need to run fairly high spring rates to keep from floating them.  

I'd be curious to see how this would end up comparing to a similar valve lift profile with, say, lightened standard rockers and lower stiffness beehive springs.  Too bad nobody has that much time (or money) on their hands... :mrgreen:

I received this e-mail from Wes: "The rockers are machined from 4140 billet and the pivot cup is nitrided. the cost per rocker is $290 + GST. you would also need a roller cam and valve train components to suit.

Thanks wes"

I'll send him a note asking that he post here to answer questions re weight, spring rates, etc.