HybridZ

RB26dett with VQ35 trans (McKinney)

ktown z

Well I went to get my lady tuned today with 800cc injectors and gt2860-5s hoping for the best.  The tuner stated he hears a knock and we are trying to diagnose it right now.  It is not looking good.  I hear a rattle in the drivetrain but the pros hear a knock.  We will see.  If I have to rebuild, I would like to change out my 5 speed RB25det trans to a VQ35/37 trans.  McKinney makes a mount kit and there are adaptors available online.  I have a bunch of questions.  Do you think the VQ shifter will line up to the stock shifter location?  My interior is all new and I don't want the hacked up look.  Will I have to modify my trans tunnel to fit the larger trans?  I know I will have to measure out the driveshaft but If anyone has done this swap, will my current driveshaft fit?  I'm guessing a VQ clutch and flywheel will be needed.  Is there anything I am missing?

Thanks for supporting my 12 year obsession!

James

Well I emailed Mac and got a very quick reply for all these questions.

1. The shifter does not sit in the stock location.  It is about 4 inches farther back.

2. I will fit the trans tunnel.  All tunnels are different so a BFH might be needed to persuade it.

3. A new drive shaft is needed.

As far as the noise from the engine, I believe it to be a loose flywheel.  At least that is what I hope it is.  When doing the swap 10 years ago, I remember not using locktite and forgetting to put in the dowel pins.  I also installed one of those "amazing" cheap xtd ebay clutches and flywheel.   I know this is not acceptable but I was a kid and not very patient with my work.  Times are different now.  We did a compression test and all cylinders were 160 or above.  That is fantastic!  My oil looks good but I should send it out to get analyzed.  When I get it back I will drop the tranny and replace the clutch/flywheel and torque everything to spec with locktite.  Hopefully this will work.  If not, 10k later and I will have a built motor.

• 4 weeks later...