HybridZ

Fuel Rails on an LS3 and best way to run

All,

I have a LS3 crate motor being test fitting into my 71 240. I have an Aeromotive tank with an in tank pump, and their pressure regulator and fuel rails.

I have seen a few ways to plumb it.

(Option 1) Aeromotive say, line feed to a y then to the back of both rails, and regulator goes in between the from rails with return coming out of the bottom of the regulator.

(Option 2)  line feed to the regulator, then to one rail, loop in the from of the rails cap the back of the other rail and return out of the bottom,

I am running stock injectors, at the most down the road, 490 to 500 HP,

I would like to do Option 2 just for the ease of plumbing, Thoughts?

Mark

IMO a dead ended system is not the preferred method. A deadended system will allow the fuel to get hotter than a looping system creating a system that can be suseptable to vapor locking. The second thing to think about is anything that gets in the line that is not supposed to be there has to go through the injectors to get out of the line. Run out of fuel and the air that is in the line must go through the injectors before fuel can get to the injectors making it very difficult to restart.

Joe

All,

I have a LS3 crate motor being test fitting into my 71 240. I have an Aeromotive tank with an in tank pump, and their pressure regulator and fuel rails.

I have seen a few ways to plumb it.

(Option 1) Aeromotive say, line feed to a y then to the back of both rails, and regulator goes in between the from rails with return coming out of the bottom of the regulator.

(Option 2)  line feed to the regulator, then to one rail, loop in the from of the rails cap the back of the other rail and return out of the bottom,

I am running stock injectors, at the most down the road, 490 to 500 HP,

I would like to do Option 2 just for the ease of plumbing, Thoughts?

Mark

Option one is the best way, I would not do option 2, You want the regulator after the fuel rails not before.

Try option 3) Fuel feed to back of one fuel rail, loop in the front to the other rail and go from the back of this rail to the regulator inlet (cap the other inlet) and return to the tank from the bottom of the regulator. This way your regulator is after the fuel rails.

The statement below is taken from am Aeromotive instruction guide on how to connect a regulator.

Attach the fuel line(s) from the fuel rail outlet port(s) to the regulator side ports using AN-10 (AN-06 if

regulator is Aeromotive P/N 13109 or 13159) style fittings and o-rings. If only one fuel supply line is

used, install an AN-10 (AN-06 if regulator is Aeromotive P/N 13109 or 13159) style plug and o-ring

into the second regulator inlet port.

Dead-head could be a problem with an Aeromotive regulator.  They leak down immediately.  The rail will be full of vapor on a hot engine and won't refill quickly.

An FPR at the end of a long rail feeding eight injectors could have pressure consistency issues, across the injectors.  Hard to rationalize which end would be high or low since the FPR is at one end and the pressure supply is at the other.  But if the rail internals are small you could imagine a pressure drop at the end if the injectors in front use all of the pressure faster than the pump can build it, like at open throttle.  The FPR can only close up completely to allow pressure to build, but the pressure has to build from the supply side.  So you'd probably want a large diameter rail.  Just a thought.

The best way is the simplest way. Dead-head into the fuel rail like the factory did. I have 1 fuel line under my hood and it is less than a foot long. Fire risk=damn near zero. Fuel supply problems=zero.

This setup really only works if you don't plan on making 600+hp and are using the factory corvette filter/regulator setup. Otherwise its not a good idea.

I have an LS1 with the stock fuel rails.  My fuel runs to the regulator and then to one side of the rails.  There is a crossover between the rails in the center that feeds the other side.  I've had no issues with the stock fuel rails.

post-263-0-12351200-1433530755_thumb.jpg

All, thanks for the advice,  looks like I will be building it to the automotive specs,, just bought all the fitting and hope to get it built next week.  So glad I am test fitting everything first..

Mark

• 2 weeks later...

My factory LS2 fuel rail just started leaking at the press fit near the Schrader valve after a couple of years of abuse.  Just a mist-kept finding tan discoloration on first fuel injector junction beside press fitting (clean discoloration with carb cleaner and it quickly re-forms).  Just right for spontaneous ignition!  I think I tweaked this press fitting when I screwed on the fuel pressure gauge.  New rail on-hand, hoping to get AN fitting welded on next week, then will be more careful installing gauge.  After car is built, ya gotta look it over regularly and stay on top of issues-especially the ones that can go up in flames.  After first start up, be sure to keep the start up brief and inspect like crazy for leaks.  Might not be a bad idea to prime fuel pump without going all the way to START, then inspect really well for leaks even before that first crank.

Edited by RebekahsZ