HybridZ

Not sure what engine to get!

How about a Ford flathead V8.  I bet nobody has done that one in a Z.

Transmission: I have used Camaro T5 transmissions in two builds. The first one I got from a wrecking yard cost $400 and the second T5 was a new rebuilt for $700.

The first build I used the wrecking yard T5 and a used SBC 350 engine with unknown mileage. That was 14 years ago and that car  is still on the road.

Edited by Miles

I read a lil on the L Series from Nissan but it seems that most of those engines are a bit old! I personally don't want to run a stock Datsun engine of any kind, I prefer to use something more modern! I kept seeing people use the GTR engine (RB______) in most builds but it followed with a "It was hard"! Type of mentality! Originally I want to put a V8 engine from a Chevy small block (LS1-LS3) but found it to be a bit overprice as well as innefficient for my necessities!

I want to ride the car both highways, freeways, streets! I'm not to worry on Gas since I can afford it to an extent! I want a fun car that I can be like "It's gorgeous in California, let's drive to the Beache" type of style!

Also how do you guys all learn about car function etc. is there any books you recommend on reading? To better understand an engine (I have a ton of bookmarked websites but none are as good as a descriptive book)

Thanks once again!

-Jonathan

Usually when people say small block Chevy (SBC) they are referring to the pre ls motors which were made from like 1960 till early 2000, most common is the 5.7 litre (350 cubic inch), if you go to craigslist and search for SBC or 350 you will most likely find 10 listings for cheap. The ls1-ls3 are are more pricey, but they have counterparts that were out of trucks and SUV's that are the same motor but iron block and much cheaper. Those are going for the same price as a SBC for the smaller ones (go to Wikipedia and it will list all the different ls engine names from trucks and such). When I looked at RBs they seemed to cost more than the many Chevy v8s and usually make less power due to the smaller size. To learn about engines you really should just tear them apart and put them back together, maybe watch some engine builder videos on YouTube.

Edited by crapforum

Usually when people say small block Chevy (SBC) they are referring to the pre ls motors which were made from like 1960 till early 2000, most common is the 5.7 litre (350 cubic inch), if you go to craigslist and search for SBC or 350 you will most likely find 10 listings for cheap. The ls1-ls3 are are more pricey, but they have counterparts that were out of trucks and SUV's that are the same motor but iron block and much cheaper. Those are going for the same price as a SBC for the smaller ones (go to Wikipedia and it will list all the different ls engine names from trucks and such). When I looked at RBs they seemed to cost more than the many Chevy v8s and usually make less power due to the smaller size. To learn about engines you really should just tear them apart and put them back together, maybe watch some engine builder videos on YouTube.

So what makes One engine better than another one with those in the same categories (4 cylinder, V6, V8,etc!) also what does feet pound of torque means?

If this is the kind of question you're asking, quite honestly, you're just not ready for a project. Not even close.

To be honest my friend, not everyone is born knowing what about cars. Some of us need to get hands on experience while others need a book! Also be aware that there some people that can grasp certain concept whether it be easy or hard and fail at the basics to a certain extent! I'm no where near building a project car, you got that right! My level of knowledge in car is minimal. However, I'm asking all these questions because my plan is to buy the 280z or 240z and have it kicking outside my house while 1)I recollect all my ideas and concept, 2) have a good understanding of mechanics and automotive and 3) implement my electrical skills...... It's all a learning process, I have to start at the bear minimum to reach the TOP!

Apart from that, I hope your not pushed away from giving me any more useful tips and tricks that I should prepare myself!

Ps: for everyone that reads this, I know it takes a while (few months to years) to accomplish a project car, but I'm not in any rush what so ever! I'm trying to have a great grasp and understand topics through you guys mouth (in your own words) rather than a book which tends to write it off as a lil to professional!

Thanks again,

Jonathan

I've been wrenching on cars for 30 years now, and engine swaps into the Z will tap your knowledge and experience.  IMO, you are getting way ahead of yourself.  I love the S30, so I can understand your ambition.  If you decide to get one for the potential of swapping in a more powerful engine, fix it up and tune it in stock form first.  Make some mods, do some restoration, start small because the impact of mistakes are less and you will gain experience you will not otherwise get.

Never mind.  Got my b(e)ar(e)s backwards.  Edit 2 - Now I realized I actually had it right the first time.  Bare (minimum), not bear.  Unless he's trying reach the standards of an actual bear.  Anyway...

What people are trying to tell you is that they've worked hard to know what they know and and that you, apparently, know absolutely nothing, like you grew up in the middle of a city and have only used mass transit.  Not that there's anything wrong with that, but you are totally clueless and talking about doing things that require orders of magnitude more knowledge than you have!  The transition from shiny magazine pages to reality takes lots of effort, sweat, and frustration!  It's not easy!  

So, no matter how enthusiastic you are, you're going to waste time and money.  The only question is how much!

Edited by NewZed

NewZed nailed it. I'm really not trying to be mean, but you don't even know how much you don't know. You don't seem to have any understanding of exactly how much effort it takes to swap an engine. If you're asking what a ft/lb is, there is simply no way you can handle swapping an engine. And how could you possibly know what engine you want to swap in if you don't even know anything about the original engine, or even how the car drives? You said you wanted 200hp, but I'm wondering if you have any point of reference for how much power that is.

I really don't know what to tell you. Again, I'm not trying to be mean, but I don't think we've ever actually had a member here ask what a ft/lb is. You really need to take a step back, and start by learning the basics, and at this point, I'm thinking that would mean getting some friends with cars, and hanging out with them, or picking up a magazine subscription. You're a very long way off from buying a project car, much less working on one.

You guys are totally right, maybe I'm thinking too far ahead! I have an idea since I do mechanic on my motorcycle but never a car. Always assume it was some what the same concept but different at the same time.

I thank you all for your assistance and wish me luck! I think Ima do what one of the guys mention, but a Z and restore it to stock! Once stock and fully understand the car itself, then it be a bit easier to modify it! Thanks for the tips and if you got any more, like always their welcome!

Thank you,

Jonathan

FYI when you measure a cars power there are two numbers, the horsepower and the lb/ft of torque. I'm gonna give you some benefit of doubt that maybe you are used to Newton meter or something, but yeah you need to know that stuff. Torque is a measure of twisting force, it goes hand in hand with horsepower, it is also a number you use to know how much to tighten a bolt. Hopefully you know about this working on motorcycles that you can't just go about tightening bolts to whatever you feel like, they have to be to a certain measured amount. If I was you I'd be watching lots of youtube, and buy a cheap car to mess with. My first car was a 78 camaro, and looking back after having some money and working on cars for years I had done some pretty ghetto things to it when I was first starting out. Get a car you won't be ashamed to slightly butcher from learning on.

If you end up with a 280z, definitely just drop in an L28ET. They are super easy to install and work on, you'll learn a ton and make the power you want easily. The 280z comes fuel injection and with a stronger drivetrain from the factory which makes things easier. If you get an early car than yes it'll be wise to stick with a carbed engine close to stock for starters.

I highly recommend a fuel injected late model S30, in general. The stock L28 n/a is great. And also you might want to focus on suspension first.

My Z career started with nebulous thread like this, myself :)

Edited by Gavin