HybridZ

Not sure what engine to get!

I'm still in the process of buying a Datsun, my goal is for a 240z but I've runned into 280z more often so I might go with that! Either way, I'm looking to replace the engine (whether it's got one or not) with a V6! I don't know much about engine since this is my first project car and hope to learn from this adventure to perhaps build a career! Got to start somewhere right!

Anyways I want a V6 that has turbo capabilities, what I mean is that I want an engine I can run and down the road I can turbocharge it! My goal is to push above 200HP, however I don't know any specific into buying an engine and what will be good for the two mentioned cars above. What would you recommend? I'm trying to budget an engine to be under $2000 but willing to go to $3000, I'm hoping to get it used and get everything rebuild or cleaned so the cheaper the engine the better (not cheap quality obviously)!

Any recommendation, and recommend anything or resources to learn what exactly goes in an engine etc!

Thanks !

I'm looking to replace the engine (whether it's got one or not) with a V6! I don't know much about engine since this is my first project car and hope to learn from this adventure to perhaps build a career! Got to start somewhere right!

A V6 transplant in to a Z car isn't the best starting point for "learning about engines".  Get a 280Z with stock EFI and you'll learn a ton about the basics of electronic fuel injection, electronic ignition, and engine mechanicals on an engine you'll actually have room to work on.  Then choose a path to another engine and more power.  You'll be better off in the long run..

I agree with NewZed. 

Suggestions:

• If doing a V8 swap buy the Jags that Run (JTR) book and read it at least 5 times. Book is useful for any engine swap.
  • Buy books/manuals for the engine and transmission you want to use.
  • Download a Factory Service Manual (FSM) and buy a Haynes repair manual for your specific car.
  • Download electrical schematics for your car.  PDFs are easier to read than those found in books. Some are in color.
  • Buy the book How to Restore Your Datsun Z Car by Wick Humble. It will save you hours of searching for "how to" info.
  • Focus on searching Hybridz as 99% of questions have already been addressed.
  • Make a detailed plan with parts list including cost before starting a project. Plan every system of the car.
  • Start bookmarking Z car parts suppliers - there are many!
  • Remember these are 40 year old cars and will need restoration to be safe and drivable.
  • Join ClassicZCars.com website and search there as well.
  • Become well informed about modifications before asking questions. People will be more inclined to answer informed questions.
  • Have some money. I stopped counting after $12k.
  • Read the new member FAQs.
  • The engine swap is the easy part. It is understanding the details like brake fittings, adapters, drive shaft angles, brake system, automotive electronics, wheels, suspension and etc. that makes or breaks a build project.
  • Recommend that you buy a running Z car and drive it stock.  Do basic maintenance brakes, suspension, electrical etc. so you have a ready to drive platform when you finish the engine swap. You will learn a lot about auto mechanics and how the Z car functions as well.

Useful Links:

http://zhome.com/

http://www.atlanticz.../tech-tips.html

http://www.classiczcars.com/index

http://www.zcarparts.com/

http://www.blackdrag.../zZxCatalog.htm

http://www.arizonazcar.com/

Go read my reply to your other thread. You're new, and clearly clueless (which is okay, we all started there), but you need to READ. A LOT. You seem to be new to cars entirely, and if you jump into what you're talking about without educating yourself beforehand, your project is going to be a disaster. Since you're totally new to cars, I would recommend you get something that is totally stock, running, and complete, and just work on getting that one into shape. That would really be the best place for you to start, IMO. I think a 75 280z would be best for you. A 280z, because it's already fuel injected, and a 75 because you're in CA, and cars 75 and older are exempt from smog testing.

Edited by rturbo 930

Just out of curiosity did you get this idea by watching roadkill by any chance, cause thats what got me going :P. And is that 200hp at the wheel or crank? If your going to swap a motor may as well shoot for higher numbers it wont take any more money or effort.

Edited by crapforum

Just out of curiosity did you get this idea by watching roadkill by any chance, cause thats what got me going :P. And is that 200hp at the wheel or crank? If your going to swap a motor may as well shoot for higher numbers it wont take any more money or effort.

No i didn't actually, i found out about 240z and 280z through craiglist. I been planning to buy a car for a while and the option i was going for was a mitsubishi 3000GT but decided to go with the Nissan 300zx but after looking i ran into the 280z and extremely fell in love with it. 

Today while i was riding my SuperSport bike in the freeway, i ran into a 240z! Man oh man that car looked gorgeous in person.

A V6 transplant in to a Z car isn't the best starting point for "learning about engines".  Get a 280Z with stock EFI and you'll learn a ton about the basics of electronic fuel injection, electronic ignition, and engine mechanicals on an engine you'll actually have room to work on.  Then choose a path to another engine and more power.  You'll be better off in the long run..

Go read my reply to your other thread. You're new, and clearly clueless (which is okay, we all started there), but you need to READ. A LOT. You seem to be new to cars entirely, and if you jump into what you're talking about without educating yourself beforehand, your project is going to be a disaster. Since you're totally new to cars, I would recommend you get something that is totally stock, running, and complete, and just work on getting that one into shape. That would really be the best place for you to start, IMO. I think a 75 280z would be best for you. A 280z, because it's already fuel injected, and a 75 because you're in CA, and cars 75 and older are exempt from smog testing.

Originally i wanted the 280z but then i decided on the 240z because of the front and rear bumpers been so smooth but then i found out that you can convert those to fit a 280z. I thought that in California, the minimim amount of year to be exempt from smog is 25 years. If i did math properly, 1990 i think. Also the stock EFI is more versatile because? Could it be because its a roomier engine that is easier to play with.

I have done repairs and maintenance but on sport bikes never on a car.

Edited by JonathanAV95

. Also the stock EFI is more versatile because? 

I have done repairs and maintenance but on sport bikes never on a car.

It's not more versatile, it's easier to understand.  The important components are epxosed and easy to comprehend, like the vane inthe air flow meter.  More air = more vane movement = more electrical signal to the ECU (simplified) = more time that injectors are open = more fuel for the engine...etc.

The distributor has mechanical timing controls.  Parts that move.  Easy to understand and learn from.

Compare that to a hot wire mass air flow sensor and ECU timing control with a crank angle sensor.  You'll be connecting wires by color with no idea why.

I'd buy whatever you can find in the best condition. My recommendation is don't give a crap about what the stock engine is, they are quite frankly all worthless and any money spent on them would be better spent on a modern engine. I'm sure some people which mod them will disagree but hp/doller a motor swap is the best. A 280z will be the easier platform to start with because you will probably be able to reuse the stock fuel injection stuff (fuel pump, tank, fuel lines), and they also will have slightly stronger axles.

I'd buy whatever you can find in the best condition. My recommendation is don't give a crap about what the stock engine is, they are quite frankly all worthless and any money spent on them would be better spent on a modern engine. I'm sure some people which mod them will disagree but hp/doller a motor swap is the best. A 280z will be the easier platform to start with because you will probably be able to reuse the stock fuel injection stuff (fuel pump, tank, fuel lines), and they also will have slightly stronger axles.

While I agree that technology has certainly progressed to a point where power seems to be more easily produced per cubic displacement, for some people playing with the L-series will bring a lot of satisfaction. For some people a couple to few hundred horsepower is all they need and is easily produced by an L-series.

I'm not sure a 280Z is necessarily best for the reasons you give. IIRC the 280Z uses very small fuel lines, that most people would likely replace with an engine swap, and even if they weren't undersized, they will likely, unless you get a well taken care of car need to be replaced anyway. The axles are the same strength wise for all S30s. It seems that some 280Zs that were equipped with an R200 had a slightly different axle than those equipped with an R180, due to the increased width, but these were not any stronger than other stock axles.

Back when I had my L-series in my car still (up until last summer) I was very happy with the power it produced, and it was a stock L28 that I added a turbo and EFI to. In fact I was so happy with it that it spent about 4 or 5 more years than I had intended under the hood of my car. I only swapped it out because it was time for me to swap in the engine that I intended to have installed years ago when I bought my car. 

Recommend an engine.  That's what he's looking for.  "Modern engine" can barely be more undefined.

To some, the L-series is a "modern engine", so I agree the term is pretty open ended. :)

Edited by Six_Shooter

While I agree that technology has certainly progressed to a point where power seems to be more easily produced per cubic displacement, for some people playing with the L-series will bring a lot of satisfaction. For some people a couple to few hundred horsepower is all they need and is easily produced by an L-series.

I'm not sure a 280Z is necessarily best for the reasons you give. IIRC the 280Z uses very small fuel lines, that most people would likely replace with an engine swap, and even if they weren't undersized, they will likely, unless you get a well taken care of car need to be replaced anyway. The axles are the same strength wise for all S30s. It seems that some 280Zs that were equipped with an R200 had a slightly different axle than those equipped with an R180, due to the increased width, but these were not any stronger than other stock axles.

Back when I had my L-series in my car still (up until last summer) I was very happy with the power it produced, and it was a stock L28 that I added a turbo and EFI to. In fact I was so happy with it that it spent about 4 or 5 more years than I had intended under the hood of my car. I only swapped it out because it was time for me to swap in the engine that I intended to have installed years ago when I bought my car.

To some, the L-series is a "modern engine", so I agree the term is pretty open ended. :)

My plan is to simply change everything! I'm assuming that an engine swap will required a plethora of compatible parts! So I would be removing all stock unless stock parts can be compatible! Now for he L series what brand is it? Is it from Nissan? I'm still researching on how to choose the adequate engine plus one that fits into the engine bay!

Once again I appreciate all the help!

Small block Chevy V8.  It has been done thousands of times all over the world.  It is a simple tried and true engine with parts available everywhere.  There is even a book that tells you how to do the installation.

A Goodwrench create  SBC 350 with a mild cam is less than $2000 and will provide about 240 RWHP  delivered to your door.

It is an easy installation if you have automotive experience or have a helper who does.

Edited by Miles

My plan is to simply change everything! 

This is not a plan.  But, since you're just looking for a project, it doesn't matter much.  Get that V6, tear out whatever's in the car you buy, drop that V6 in, and see what happens.

There are a bunch of V6 options out there.  You could call around first and see what the local shops charge for a rebuild.  You might be over-budget pretty quick.

L series is yes Nissan, it refers to the stock motors in these cars (l24 2.4 litre, l28 2.8 litre). I agree a small block chevy will be simplest swap but recommend against the crate motor. IMO a SBC is not worth $2000, you can find them used all over the place as low as a couple hundred bucks. The transmission you will put behind it will most likely determine most of the cost. Be sure to keep reading, you have a ton you need to learn before you start doing this. I would recommend a L33 or comparable chevy ls engine (not to be confused with the Nissan L series), but they are a good bit more complicated to swap (but also more rewarding).