HybridZ

Moving the steering rack forward

I have a build thread here,http://forums.hybridz.org/topic/122185-m-powered-z/

Trying to fit a BMW engine but the front of the oil pan, oil pump, sprocket and chain drive end up right where the cross member and steering rack are.

I'm looking into removing the stock oil pump assembly and putting together some kind of wet/dry sump external pump oil but now I'm also wondering what problems there might be if instead of changing the engine,  of moving the steering rack down 3/4" and forward 4-5"?

The cross member could be notched forward to clear the oil pan and with longer custom tie rods to connect with the steering knuckles.  So instead of the steering rack pushing/pulling side to side parallel to the cross member it would be pushing/pulling with the tie rods swept back like this,

post-28202-0-05066600-1433774689_thumb.jpg

post-28202-0-02933000-1433774839_thumb.jpg

post-28202-0-37645200-1433775022_thumb.jpg

Ask cobramatt. He had his rack moved way forward. I had to move mine about 2" forward for clearance, expected it o screw up the Ackerman really badly. Graphed it out, and I basically have parallel steer now, where stock Z has something like 3 degrees of difference between the wheels at full lock.

You should concentrate on getting the engine placed further back.  You can move the crossmember and rack forward a little but not much.  But at this point in your build, you should place the engine as far aft as possible even if you have to delete the hood latch and modify the firewall.  Then if you still have interference with the rack / crossmember, relocate them (a little bit).

I built a custom crossmember and relocated my rack to clear the pan on my 5.0L Ford install and to allow me to run more caster with the control arms perpendicular to the car.

I think if I can drop the cross member 3/4" with spacers and go the dry sump route I should be alright.

I would have to notch back into the firewall 5" and lose the heater blower... not prepared to do that just yet.

Thanks,

Chris

Jon, I was just talking to one of the gurus on Bimmerforums and the rear sump oil pans for this block don't exist.

Edited by grannyknot

• 5 months later...

Ask cobramatt. He had his rack moved way forward. I had to move mine about 2" forward for clearance, expected it o screw up the Ackerman really badly. Graphed it out, and I basically have parallel steer now, where stock Z has something like 3 degrees of difference between the wheels at full lock.

Do you happen to have any pictures of the steering rack re-location? It would open up some possibilities for me if I could move mine .75" to 1" forward from stock. Moving the motor down and back has caused quite a few little issues. Not the least of which was the switch to a dry sump. 

Thanks.

Ron Allen

Interesting from what I could tell looking g at mone and a buddies car these have negative/reverse ackerman to begin with I been tossing the idea around of failing the sub frame around.