HybridZ

Long time lurker turned builder.

This thread will be slowly updated and the build may not be the most interesting, but I'd like to share/document.  I've used this site for ideas and daydreams for about 8 years, so thanks everyone!

My canvas is a 1970 series 1 240z with period modifications.

post-10756-0-34977300-1433992891_thumb.jpg

Today was the first day I actually started work on the car, previously I was just trying to get the car running a little better by cleaning and rough tuning the carbs.

I started by removing the previous owner's attempt at making a floor....

post-10756-0-61076700-1433993001_thumb.jpg

This left an even larger hole in the floor, perfect for cooling you down on a hot summer's day.

post-10756-0-12160600-1433993024_thumb.jpg

The floors were cut out when I bought it and 2x3 frame tubing welded from the TC bracket to the rear rails.  Unfortunately the rails were not even close to level, so that had to be fixed.

post-10756-0-39851400-1433993085_thumb.jpg

One side almost leveled, but the floor and main frame rails are just the beginning...

post-10756-0-76907700-1433993209_thumb.jpg

Time to save up a bit to buy an engine hoist.

Only cell phone pictures unfortunately.

IMG_20150510_154334892_zpsrgoppods.jpg

IMG_20150521_191938_zpsswqilube.jpg

IMG_20150510_154348171_HDR_zpsg5jfzo0i.j

As far as the rust, it's fine.  Unless you are willing to spend more than $6k you will be doing floors and rails anyway.  I didn't want anything nice to begin with, it would have just held me back from chopping this thing up the way I want it.

Edited by Lino

Floors and subframe rails under the floor, sure, but dude, your engine bay rails are shot! Not exactly 'fine' lol. I guess it shouldn't be too hard if you know what you're doing, I'm guessing you do since you don't seem worried about it.

I didn't want anything nice to begin with, it would have just held me back from chopping this thing up the way I want it.

What do you have in mind?

Not fine as in I'm not going to touch it, fine as in most Z's in Wisconsin are either nearly this bad, or weak enough that I would have replaced the rails, floors, ect. anyway.

As the title states, this is being built as a Ratsun.  Partly because when I bought it, there was a horrific smell that turned out to be a rotting RAT in the spare tire well, maggots and everything, and partly because this is not going to be a high dollar show build.  It's going to be built to be abused and the exterior appearance will remain ratty at best.  That said, the front end is getting new rails (obviously) some new sheet metal, and reinforcements for the TC buckets and top strut mount.  Surprisingly the bull horns are in decent shape.

Did a bit o' work today, meant to just clean up a bit but ended up being out there for about 3 hours making a mess.

This happened...

IMGP0758_ps_zpsltm74qwz.jpg

Because the rail was crooked and also, this:

IMGP0759_ps_zpsusmgit7g.jpg

These are not what I would consider 'good' welds Mr. Previous Owner.

IMGP0762_ps_zpstmohgmsf.jpg

Also cut out where the floor meets the outer member because it was rusted. 1x1" tubing will go in its place.

IMGP0763_ps_zpswflprarc.jpg

Big ol' hole now.  You can also see the awesome exhaust in this picture.

IMGP0761_ps_zpsa5jzc4js.jpg

Mocking it up for measurements:

IMGP0764_ps_zpsgnoq8fpo.jpg

Thats all for tonight, almost cut my finger off.