HybridZ

wolf 3d help needed

bryan3976

Hey how is every one.

Im purchasing a wolf 3d ecu soon have a few questions that i cant find answers to on im using the n/a 280zx dizzy ive read i need a ignitor what one exactly do i need ? and how to wire it up? also if any one has a n/a base map id love a copy if possible.will update with how i go and pictures.

Thanks from Australia 

post-48491-0-55624200-1434283559_thumb.jpg

Not a Wolf expert, or even Magasquirt but the concepts shown in your diagram from mobythevan look right.  The bottom HEI unit would be the "ignitor" controlling the ground circuit for the coil, and the top HEI unit would be for "processing" the signal from the variable reluctor in to a from that the ECU can use.

Note though, that the 280ZX distributor's "match box" has essentially the same function as the GM HEI module.  So if your distributor has the match box intact, it already has what you need.

It's possible also the Wolf ecu can handle a variable reluctor signal directly so you may not even need that HEI module to process the reluctor signal.  The Wolf products are pretty high end.  It might even have its own internal ignitor.  Who told you that you need an ignitor?

There's good stuff here - http://www.wolfems.com/downloads.html

It looks like the 3D has its own ignition drivers (ignitors).  There are instructions on using a locked distributor also, as input for the ECU, but they're not the clearest.  There might be more details, I only looked at page 14.  

http://www.wolfems.com/downloads/installation-manuals.html

Ron Tyler used to be a distributor for Wolf I believe.  You might send him a PM.  But I'd read through the 3D instruction manual first, just for a solid point of reference.  Doesn't seem like you've been in there yet.  The Megasquirt stuff will probably help with understanding the concepts but the details for Wolf will be different.  I get the impression that Wolf products are not really user-friendly.